Being evicted due to demolition

Soldato
If your paying £10000 in tax a year you must be earning quite a bit... its no ones fault but your own if you can't manage your money properly...

Surely that kind of sweeping statement is as crazy as his. The fundamental fact being you don't know his circumstances. I pay more than that in tax but have very little left at the end of the month but that is due to life events rather than any financial mismanagement on my part.

Soldato
You know, to all those who seem so vehemently to look down their noses from their high horses, over everyone that lives in council houses.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal, make me PM (may aswell), and I'll evict every single council tenant in the country, kick them out, onto the street, better yet, I'll deport them to the colonies.

Then all you "I own my own house... and thus am better than you" people, can fend for yourselves, clean up your own muck, and run your perfect utopian society.

Sheesh...

Soldato
I'd be wondering why they were wasting my tax giving it away, I'm sorry but you should not be offered anything.

If you cannot afford to rent a house, get a smaller one, or share... or live with your parents, or move to a cheaper area.

You have a massive boon getting the cheap rent, be happy you are in that position and accept what ever they offer and think your self lucky, if it were up to me i'd say sorry no council house's left go rent privately...

Soldato
You know, to all those who seem so vehemently to look down their noses from their high horses, over everyone that lives in council houses.

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal, make me PM (may aswell), and I'll evict every single council tenant in the country, kick them out, onto the street, better yet, I'll deport them to the colonies.

Then all you "I own my own house... and thus am better than you" people, can fend for yourselves, clean up your own muck, and run your perfect utopian society.

Sheesh...

no we would get all the foreign workers to do that, the hard working ones that dont mind working in KFC all day then going home to the room they rent, and they are greatful for what they have... the ones that take a 2nd job so they can afford to rent a house or flat with a friend... the ones that dont expect to get a free house....

Soldato
I'd be wondering why they were wasting my tax giving it away, I'm sorry but you should not be offered anything.

If you cannot afford to rent a house, get a smaller one, or share... or live with your parents, or move to a cheaper area.

You have a massive boon getting the cheap rent, be happy you are in that position and accept what ever they offer and think your self lucky, if it were up to me i'd say sorry no council house's left go rent privately...

I agree, it's sickening that somebody has been lucky enough to pay less rent than me. We should all do something to lower his quality of life by increasing his housing costs.

Soldato
I agree, it's sickening that somebody has been lucky enough to pay less rent than me. We should all do something to lower his quality of life by increasing his housing costs.

jsut get a 2nd job, I work 2 jobs... im lazy and I can do it so anyone can... and its possible to keep the same level of housing... or maybe rent a room to a friend... or rent a house with another couple...

no need to slum it....

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16532222 said:
My point exactly that would be 2-3 times that on the open market :p

I have a social housing. Brand new eco-home in sussex. My rent is around £600 a month, privately you might get £700.

I stated might as I doubt anybody would choose to rent a place, 30 feet from temporary housing. Have regular drugs raids on neighbours, gangs of youths selling drugs to kids of 10-11 year olds to the early hours. People in the street sit outside there houses drinking and smoking pot 24-7.

I ended up here not of my own choice or doing. But like I say, the rents are certainly not 1/3 market value and I doubt anybody would rent it for that.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I have a social housing. Brand new eco-home in sussex. My rent is around £600 a month, privately you might get £700.

I stated might as I doubt anybody would choose to rent a place, 30 feet from temporary housing. Have regular drugs raids on neighbours, gangs of youths selling drugs to kids of 10-11 year olds to the early hours. People in the street sit outside there houses drinking and smoking pot 24-7.

I ended up here not of my own choice or doing. But like I say, the rents are certainly not 1/3 market value and I doubt anybody would rent it for that.

Out of interest, if you are paying near as damnit private rates could you not just move into a private sector rental away from these social problems?

Soldato
When you consider that the only thing that probably goes through your mind when the council come and replace your boiler or roof is the fact its an inconvenience and not the fact you need to find 3 to 5k to have the work done, then thats the difference.

Never rented before? Why would a tenant pay for a refurb when it is the landlords responsibility?

Associate
I work in social housing ... not an expert by any means as I work for IT but I have some knowledge from the allocations process.

When they want you to move because the are demolishing your property you can be picky about what you want.

Do you want a new build?
do you want the same size property that you have now ... even if it's too big for your needs?
Do you want to be on a small estate due to the lower levels of ASB? Ask for it.?

Write down your list of wants and ask them what properties meet your criteria if any. I am assuming the council your with is working on CBL so you should be able to bid the property you want, with your priority pass you should be top of the list.

They have a duty to rehouse you, until you can find a property suitable to your needs they cannot demolish your current home.

Regarding someone else questioning who can join the housing list. Pretty much any UK citizen can, the chances of getting housed are down to your needs and the needs of the people above you on the list.

Most councils work on a Choice Base Lettings scheme, where applicants bid on the property that they want. The applicants are grouped by priority
a - priority pass
b - high need
c - medium need
d - low need

If you are a group C applicant and you have bid on a property the only chance of getting it is if you are first to bid from your group and no members of any higher groups have bid.

Soldato
Out of interest, if you are paying near as damnit private rates could you not just move into a private sector rental away from these social problems?

In the process of transfering. But when you have kids you kind of want more stability than private rental when you can be evicted every 6 months.

Plus the financial mess my ex-wife left me in, I doubt a private landlord would touch me with a barge pole.

Man of Honour

I'm not really seeing many people doing that. Some people are pointing out that its a form of benefit, which it is, and other people are reading something completely different, as if people are having a go or something rather than simply stating fact.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16534064 said:
I'm not really seeing many people doing that. Some people are pointing out that its a form of benefit, which it is, and other people are reading something completely different, as if people are having a go or something rather than simply stating fact.

It's far less a benefit than people privately renting very large houses and claiming a rent rebate. This is far more costly to the tax payer than social housing.

Back
Top Bottom