Being scammed or am I being paranoid?

Soldato
i trade all the time ebay/priv mainly in laptops, i would not carry on the deal with out a lot of things set in place,

home addy, home telephone and (spoken to him at the home phone)

i would then ask him to setup a private auction on ebay and have a buy it now price.

if you both did not want to use ebay, why use paypal? i would do a bank transfer, you have more of his details and its a lot safer.

again, if you doubt it don't do it, he wins you loose if it goes **** up.

and further more you say its cheap? but on ebay it ended for £375 which is below your agreed price.

Soldato
If I wasnt happy I would walk away. £400 is a lot of money bet on your intuition being wrong.

The real sticking point for me is the fact he has apparantly already sold it. There is the plausible explanation of good will feedback.

The other points don't really have much bearing on it. Only £10 postage? Perhaps he is meeting you halfway on price. Or maybe he has other arrangements that has given him a discount on sending it.

Not wanting half payment before and after? He is limiting his own risk. He may not be very trusting of people.

I would also not go on about it if you decide to walk away. Just explain you aren't happy with the situation. No need to blather on about your feedback score and how you wouldn't scam etc.

Soldato
OP
Well guys I can pretty much pick this amp up NEW for £600

A new set of valves/tubes on a guitar amp costs £70/80 and because the amp is 2nd hand you never know how long the tubes have been used for.

I think I'm going to e-mail him and tell him thanks but no thanks, I'll save up and buy new :)

and further more you say its cheap? but on ebay it ended for £375 which is below your agreed price.

Yea odd one this, they usually sell on ebay for around £450, maybe because of his 0 feedback.

Soldato
Well guys I can pretty much pick this amp up NEW for £600

A new set of valves/tubes on a guitar amp costs £70/80 and because the amp is 2nd hand you never know how long the tubes have been used for.

I think I'm going to e-mail him and tell him thanks but no thanks, I'll save up and buy new :)

Yea odd one this, they usually sell on ebay for around £450, maybe because of his 0 feedback.

i would leave it if i were you, for £200 more yeah its more cash, but you get to unwrap your pride and joy and like you said you can end up paying extra for valves

Soldato
OP
Just got a reply from him

There was a mix up on ebay. When I initially put it up I had a buy it now on it, it didn't show up, I contacted ebay and they did nothing to solve the problem. So I got a friend to win the bid. I wasent gonna let my head go for under 400. Unfortunately I did get lumped with a 40 quid ebay fee and I will again this time. What would you like me to do about this for you? Again if you want to call me to chat feel free.
Cheers

Soldato
Plus £600 is not a lot of money if it is something you will be using all the time and is a passion.

Most people here waste far more than that on PC hardware they probably don't even think twice about a few weeks/months down the line :p

Soldato
I've e-mailed the buyer asking him if he actually purchased the amp.

If i get no reply I'll be sending this...

Finally, I don't understand why you're not willing for me to pay half before the amp arrives and half after. I have 94 100% positive feedback on ebay and wouldn't imagine scamming a fellow musician.

i can understand his reason for not allowing you to pay half later dont think your feedback will pursude him even though its postivie. maybe a landline number

whats stopping you from not paying the other half. im not saying your a bad person but he might thhink you wont pay it

EDIT: saw his reply.

Soldato
Using what? I've always used parcelforce and it cost me £20 to send a 15.2kg amp yesterday.

i send from parcel to ship. it was 13 now it seems to gone up slightly. i use parcelforce 24 and my items are usually around the 18kg mark. but it also depends on the width length and height of the parcel

Soldato
OP
Person who left feedback

hi there dont worry he isnt trying to scam you.
what happened was that i had problems with payment therefore i contacted him wishing to withdraw.
he was kind enough not to charge me or anything or give me negative feedback. therefore i gave him positive feedback and left it at that.
therefore yes he will still have the amp and it will be available.

hope that this helps

Sounds different to getting a friend to win the bid?

Last edited:
Soldato
Is he a confirmed Paypal member?

If so why don't you just buy it through ebay and given that Paypal usually sides with the buyer 99% of the time, you'll be covered anyway?

Nothing jumps out at me as being particularly dodgy, taking a loss on shipping isn't rare, I've found out shipping was dearer than quoted costs before sending out car parts before.

EDIT:

Person who left feedback

hi there dont worry he isnt trying to scam you.
what happened was that i had problems with payment therefore i contacted him wishing to withdraw.
he was kind enough not to charge me or anything or give me negative feedback. therefore i gave him positive feedback and left it at that.
therefore yes he will still have the amp and it will be available.

hope that this helps

Ooohm, that doesn't seem to tally with his story. Not looking good now.

Soldato
OP
Will I definitely be covered through paypal? Remember guys, he has sent me pictures of the amp with my name on a bit of paper next to it.

Soldato
If I even get so much as a hint of a problem with a user with less than 100% feedback then I'll walk away, too many times have I seen my mrs have problems where people just fanny about purposefully causing problems, its not worth the hassle.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I've e-mailed the buyer asking him if he actually purchased the amp.

If i get no reply I'll be sending this...

Hi

I hope you don't take this personally, but I've decided that I'm going to walk away from the deal.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Fixed :o

Soldato
OP
GAH!

from the guy who left feedback

hahaha yea that is true.
i just didnt think he would actually say that
hence the story.
sorry

Soldato
Meet in person or buy elsewhere. No way of being sure with ebay.

I can not understand why people will risk 100s of £ just to save a few £. Buy it from the shop and go to the bookies on your way home if that's your thing.

Brother bought a nice cheap LG TV from ebay, he was laughing as to be fair it arrived and was much cheaper, but 6 months later the sound goes and he is now up poo creek.

Back
Top Bottom