Being scammed or am I being paranoid?

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Not a lot of people realize, but banking system in UK doesn't verify anything except numbers. There was a radio show on LBC (i think) where someone called in about misspelled name on his wage payments for years and as a test presenter tried to transfer money and pay money over the counter to his own bank account but to the name of Miss Ann Y. Name and it didn't matter whatsoever. Each payment was accepted and no one questioned that account is to completely different name. A week later they also tested cheque payments and one of two banks actually paid personal cheque signed with different name ie. Mick Mouse.

Soldato
Ermmmmmm NO! A bank transfer is the least safe method, it’s essentially handling cash over! You have 0 comebacks if it goes wrong.

You do have some comeback.. I bought something once and paid bank transfer, the guy didn't send it and messed me around. I signed up on MoneyClaim.gov.uk he got a nice court letter through his door and within two days I got the item I paid for! Although this does require his name and address in the first place which I didn't get originally and had to do some detective work to get. Since then I always take their address if I'm doing a bank transfer..

Soldato
Good decision in the end. I always play it as safe as possible and ask myself whether there's even the slightest hint of scam, and if the answer is yes, I walk away.

Back
Top Bottom