Poll: Belgian Grand Prix 2020, Spa - Race 7/17

Rate the 2020 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
The worst thing F1 ever did was ban in-season testing/development. That's why we have cars that always make it to the end of races, and the stable situation where everyone stays in their same relative positions from the beginning of the season. Then we complain when Mercedes does a great job, and no one can catch up during the season, because no one is allowed to develop the car in any significant way.

Yup. The ban on in-season testing, and the limitations on in-season development, are a big problem for the sport. I appreciate the need to limit spiralling costs but it's had huge negative side effects. That said, it wasn't like we didn't get seasons where one team utterly dominated before this.

Soldato
What about allowing in season testing based on championship performance. They already have young driver tests and tyre tests with all teams present. They could do something similar 4 times throughout the season, but the top team gets only 500 laps, then 750, 1000, those outside the top three perhaps 5000 laps.

Just an off the top of the head idea.

Caporegime
What about allowing in season testing based on championship performance. They already have young driver tests and tyre tests with all teams present. They could do something similar 4 times throughout the season, but the top team gets only 500 laps, then 750, 1000, those outside the top three perhaps 5000 laps.

Just an off the top of the head idea.

So make the teams lower down the grid who get little sponsorship income and revenue, compared to the bigger teams, spend the most ??

Ok its an idea I guess :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The bottom teams already get more wind tunnel time, don’t they? I forget when/if they introduced that.

Allowing them X more miles for testing could work but you’d still have to allow all the other teams some degree of in-season testing. The problem I see is that I doubt if Haas (for instance) could achieve gains in 1000km of testing that Merc/RB couldn’t achieve in 100km.

It’ll come down to the efficiency and use of their time which some teams just don’t have. I’d wager you could let Williams test constantly and they’d still be at the back :(

Back
Top Bottom