Belkin 7633 .17 firmware telnet disabled :-(

Soldato
i'm using a belkin usb dongle on my other pc and works great, i prefer the this beacuse i can move it around till i get a good signal.

i'm also using a custom Firmware, which show the hidden features which belkin was too lazy to put it. also with this firmware my Down Attn dropped by 1 :eek:

Associate
Hi

I think you guys better blank out reference to the purple shirt brigade before a don see its

as for the router itself ... i got one the newer revisions .. cant telnet or downgrade the firmware but using the method mentioned above the snr tweak can be accessed ... the only drawback is you cant save the tweak settings so if you hard boot you have to reset again ... or thats what ive rad so far ..

my tweak has got me an extra M/b or two ... so well worth the effort

Caporegime
Right, just went out to you know where and bought this router and appropriate PCI card. Heart sank at first because ony router I saw had the later 1144 firmware on it... but then my eagle-eyed dad spotted one andd lo and behold... it was the good 1001 model. :)

About to install it now... will report back. :)

Caporegime
Well, bought the router and wireless card and everything seems to be running great! Router was a piece of pees to set up but the wireless card gave me a few teething problems when setting up the security, couldn't quite get it to connect for 15 mins or so.

Signal seems very stable however, and I shall tell thee all tonight whether it survives an evening with no drop-outs or not.

By the way, how do you tweak this snr or attenuation things, can someone tell me how please? :)

EDIT - Grrr still having issues getting my comp set up using the network card...

Last edited:
Soldato
Richdog said:
Well, bought the router and wireless card and everything seems to be running great! Router was a piece of pees to set up but the wireless card gave me a few teething problems when setting up the security, couldn't quite get it to connect for 15 mins or so.

Signal seems very stable however, and I shall tell thee all tonight whether it survives an evening with no drop-outs or not.

By the way, how do you tweak this snr or attenuation things, can someone tell me how please? :)

EDIT - Grrr still having issues getting my comp set up using the network card...

1. Click on "Start" then "Run" then type cmd

2. when the Black Dos window popup type "Telnet 192.168.2.1"

3. it will then ask you to login so use for Login type admin and then the password you set for the router, if you not set a password then leave it blank.

4. once logged in type "adsl configure --snr 20", the router will then resync and you should be connect to a higher speed.

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
Yeah it seems that .17 does indeed support SSH, i didnt realise that any of the models did at the time so didnt think to even try it!

Soldato
btw the speedtouch series of router have the SNR tweak feature aswell VIA the DMT tool which im using and i can tell you its VERY VERY good and easy to use

my router is the 580 wireless

which version of the belkin router is ocuk selling btw?

Associate
Hi

snr 20 is a good place to start ... but i found my connection works best @ snr 40 .. so best to start low and work upwards .. pinched the following off adslguide for ya

Here is a list of other values to try...
(N SNR) (N = number you type in.... the other value is the resulting DS (DownStream) SNR at the eXchange)...
6 -- 4.6
7 -- 4.8
8 -- 4.9
9 -- 4.9
10 -- 4.7
20 -- 5.6
30 -- 6.2
40 -- 6.9
50 -- 7.4
60 -- 8.2
70 -- 8.8
80 -- 9.3
90 -- 10

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
OP
It doesnt work like that, it manipulates your current SNR, so those numbers will never match any set values :)

For example an --snr 1 on my line gives me around 4DB, which is stable and the setting i use

Associate
well my snr @ 40 actually reads 4.1 here ... & i was passing on info from what i believe to be an informed source but of course someone who posts a lot isnt always right but the guy gets a lot of praise on adslguide

my understanding is ... the snr tweak doesnt change anything on the line but it fools the BT exchange into believeing you have a better quality line than they normally assume ... so technically you might call it a hack rather than a tweak ... either way it does do something that has boosted my connection by at least 1M/b so far probably closer to 2M/b

Caporegime
Wingz said:
1. Click on "Start" then "Run" then type cmd

2. when the Black Dos window popup type "Telnet 192.168.2.1"

3. it will then ask you to login so use for Login type admin and then the password you set for the router, if you not set a password then leave it blank.

4. once logged in type "adsl configure --snr 20", the router will then resync and you should be connect to a higher speed.

Cheers for that mate. :)

Cozman said:
well my snr @ 40 actually reads 4.1 here ... & i was passing on info from what i believe to be an informed source but of course someone who posts a lot isnt always right but the guy gets a lot of praise on adslguide

my understanding is ... the snr tweak doesnt change anything on the line but it fools the BT exchange into believeing you have a better quality line than they normally assume ... so technically you might call it a hack rather than a tweak ... either way it does do something that has boosted my connection by at least 1M/b so far probably closer to 2M/b

What has your increase in download speeds been like? Does it affect the stability of your line running a higher speed than its rated for?

So far my constant connection drop-outs haven't happened once... I can actually play online games and everything. :D

Associate
Hi

hard to be exact about these things but ... before snr tweak most speedtests gave me about 4500 -5000 somtimes peaking just around 5200 ... after snr tweak the same tests have consistanly given 5600 - 6000 with a several times nearing 6800 ... as for stability not really given it long enough i dont think but it wasnt stable @ snr 20 or snr 30 .. had resyncs although ive no great experience but guess needed a lower tweak so im running @ snr 45 today to continue tests ... guess can only really tell over a period of time but so far a noticble difference

Associate
well ummm yes and no :p ... i though would be that simple but apparently it isnt or so im informed by others (full sync but limited speeds are common)

ive never synched below 7180 in the 6 weeks ive had max but according to one of the line checkers (realtime check ill get link if peeps interested) my line is only allocated at 5500 max ... now im sceptical whether the realtime check is accurate of course but if true the line is limited well below the synch and before you say 8128 - 7.1M/b in real terms the 5500 above is checked against the 8128 possible if you get my drift

back to the original point ... its hard to be exact about the snr tweak improving download speeds ... it does allow to sync at max & it does give better speedtest results compared to previous max syncs ... but that doesnt prove that downloading faster is possible although IMHO it has given a boost to my connection ... thats probably confused the issue and made me look stupid but hey ive been called worse i can take it :p

Caporegime
Cozman said:
i though would be that simple but apparently it isnt or so im informed by others (full sync but limited speeds are common)

Your throughput doesn't depend on your SNR margin though (although it does depend on your sync rate).
If you get a higher average sync rate, you'll eventually get a higher IP throughput, so yes it is that simple.

ive never synched below 7180 in the 6 weeks ive had max but according to one of the line checkers (realtime check ill get link if peeps interested) my line is only allocated at 5500 max

In which case you either are (even briefly) synching lower and your data rate is dropping to match it, or you've got a fault and should contact your ISP.

Back
Top Bottom