Belkin n1 vision freezing

Associate
Hi all

I have had a n1 vision for a good few years now and over the past years my troubles have got worse over time. When i transfer a lot of data to my nas or do a bit of downloading it just locks up and lose connection. It does happen randomly as well when just surfing the net.

The Router its self sometimes freezes and does nothing sometimes i can look through the menus in it but still not connect even tho it fins it on the network it just says timed out. I have brought another just to make sure it not the old router it still does the same but the new router is same revision. I have a Apple imac 27" i5

Im just lost what to do now as the new belkin routers i have heard are no good any help much would do

Many Thanks in advance

Aod

Aod

Soldato
the N1 Visions were always a bit shoddy. tried updating the firmware? have you checked to see if it's getting too hot?

Associate
im guessing its over heating and freezing up.

it possible to put it in a place with more air flow? i.e. not behind a sofa :D near a door / window is usualy drafty should help abit without hacking it apart.

i had an issue with overheating on a belkin N router, i opened it up to find a tiny shoddy heatsink (it was past RMA) so i went and got a northbridge heatsink from the store near me, super glued (yes you read it right) it right on where the other one was and its been fine since.

theres usualy not a lot of room so measure or be prepared to dremel a slit ontop for it to stick out. but thats an extreme case.

Soldato
Never liked Belkin routers, used a couple of peoples N1 Vision models too (cable and ADSL) and they're unreliable, need frequent reboots. Some people are fine, others not.

My advice, get a decent quality router rather than an all-singing all-dancing one. That's really the best advice I can give you, you've had a few years use of this one, they don't tend to last a lot longer nowadays anyway.

Associate
OP
Many thanks for the replies

It was stuck in a cabinet but i moved it on top so there is plenty of airflow. What can you guy recommend as a new router i don't play games on my mac just a xbox and ps3 but there is a lot of gear connected to the router 3 iphones 1 ipad 2 imac and 4 some times more laptops.

I need something that will get a decent range as for some reason the upstairs bedroom doesn't get that good a signal.

So if you guys could say whats decent or not.

Again Many thanks in advance

Associate
OP
Never liked Belkin routers, used a couple of peoples N1 Vision models too (cable and ADSL) and they're unreliable, need frequent reboots. Some people are fine, others not.

My advice, get a decent quality router rather than an all-singing all-dancing one. That's really the best advice I can give you, you've had a few years use of this one, they don't tend to last a lot longer nowadays anyway.

Can you recommend anything mate :) I've been out the game for a while and I just opted for the iMac this time and after shelling out £1500 for the iMac I didn't want anymore problems. This is the last issue I have as I'm always resetting it so just want something decent that works.

Back
Top Bottom