Below Deck - reality TV show on a superyacht

Caporegime
OK firstly, I'm not a fan of reality TV shows* - or at least not the cheesy US style scripted reality shows... I did find some UK shows like Airport and holiday reps OK back in the day partly because they're not very scripted and partly because there is something inherently funny in watching chavs get super worked up and kicking off... have got no interest in keeping up with any Kardashians or any real housewives or Jersey Shore people or Georides or Essex people or people living in Chelsea etc...

This on the other hand did spark my interest after seeing some facebook clips (which seem to be of the mediteranian version) - turned out netflix has the first two carribean seasons available, the rest is available via Amazon Prime but only if you take a free trial or subscribe to some additional reality TV channel on there. Turns out it's not as scripted (or at least not as obviously scripted) as the current crop of reality TV shows and alos it's just interesting to see how things work on some of these super yachts that cost say 150k to rent for a few days (presume the guests on this show get a discount on the usual charter fee in return for agreeing to be filmed)... only one British crew member on board - the Chef, Ben, though he does a good job repping the UK - seems to get on with most of the crew, though he has his occasional angry moments. Plenty of drama etc.. Some of the guests do demonstrate quite clearly that money can't buy class - some of them are just outright ****s, some of the staff are prone to moaning a lot too and probably in the wrong job. These guys get well rewarded for the (very long) hours they put in, tips up to around a grand each at the end of the charter.

Anyone else watched it?

Here is the trailer for the med version (I've not watched this one, though looks like Chef Ben is back there):

And here is a cheesy US trailer for the original Carribean one:

*disclaimer - though I've never watched it I have heard that Love Island is pretty good! :D

Back
Top Bottom