Belt squeal when cold, what are some quick easy fixes?

IC3

IC3

Soldato
My car in the morning when its cold and damp is really loud, only at low speeds until I get out from my street (15-20mph). When I get to the 30-40 speed limits its fine and after it warms up it doesn't squeal anymore.

Are there's any products I can spray or...? To stop it? Its so loud, I could probably awake the dead. LMAO

The whole timming/cambelt has been changed along with all the pulleys, waterpump and auxiliary belt around 1000 miles ago. It squeal a bit before, I think it might be coming from the bearing on the alternator? Its hard to tell...

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
Replace the belt (s).
I did a cheeky edit:

The whole timming/cambelt has been changed along with all the pulleys, waterpump and auxiliary belt around 1000 miles ago. It squeal a bit before, I think it might be coming from the bearing on the alternator? Its hard to tell...

The kit is SKF and auxilary belt is Gates.

Caporegime
You need to get the source of the squeak found rather than trying to mask the noise before it turns into a failure and a possibility of being stranded at the roadside.

I wouldn't advise spraying anything oil based on the alternator if you think it's that, a; most oil based lubricants are flammable and b; they usually result in lots of accumulated crud and gunk over a once clean component.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I forgot about my dashcam, she caught it perfectly. So, I started the car and let it warmup a bit. I start reversing turn the wheel and boom squealing comes on, the rest you can see on the video. Today the same thing, it seems to come on at low speed manevouring and stays on for a while, once you drive for a bit longer 5 min it doesn't squeal or when you accelerate upto 20-30mph+

I'm just basically manoeuvring on the car park and as I gain speed whilst exiting the car park it gets louder and stops.

The squeal stopped completely on that day after it stopped on the video, I haven't heard it once. Its fairly random, but mainly happens when the car sits for a longer period of time 1-2days and it seems to be loudest in cold/damp conditions. I haven't heard it during summer, only started squealing during winter.

Last edited:
Soldato
There's a good chance that the power steering pump in on the auxiliary belt.

You turn the wheel and the demand on the pump increases causing the belt to slip (along with other increased loads from a cold car).

If that is the case you should be able to trigger the squealing by turning the wheel with engine on and the car stationary.

We used to pour water on noisy fan/auxiliary belts. It'll shut them up long enough to check that they are to blame and won't do any actual harm.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
It doesn't squeal when I'm stationary add turn the wheel, it starts when I take off. But mainly happens at lower speeds, as I accelerate it gets louder and once I hit around 25-30 it stops.

Soldato
It would be helpful to know what the car actually is and whether you have an automatic (Spring loaded) aux belt tensioner or one that has to be manually adjusted.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
It would be helpful to know what the car actually is and whether you have an automatic (Spring loaded) aux belt tensioner or one that has to be manually adjusted.
Honda Civic 1.6 Sport 2005 with D16V1 engine and its a manual.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
OP
I found the fault, the bearing on the alternator is all rusty and its making that loud squeal noise. I've used some anticorossion stuff on the bolt, only one little squirt. Its quiet now, we'll see for how long it lasts...

The belt is fine, checked the grooves too and the tension.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom