• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Benchmarks for AT HD 5870

Soldato
I'd still get the 5870.

Sinlge GPU is far more preferable than dual GPU, plus look at the figures, all the situations where the 5870 is beaten, it's still providing adequate framerates.

Also, at 2560x1600, it's beating the 295 most of the time ... plus I'm pretty sure those gaps will widen as drivers mature and newer, more shader complex games appear.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd still get the 5870.

Sinlge GPU is far more preferable than dual GPU, plus look at the figures, all the situations where the 5870 is beaten, it's still providing adequate framerates.

Also, at 2560x1600, it's beating the 295 most of the time.

Depends on your feeling, if NVIDIA can absoloutely drop the arse of the 295 in terms of price, it may be a viable alternative. Like I said a dual card isn't a big issue anymore

I'd certainly wait until after launch before any of you make a purchase decision on the 5870 and see where they go as it would almost certainly lead to ATi responding agressively as they like to do so.

Man of Honour
Dunno... if it was a choice of 295GTX at £200 or the 5870 for circa £300 I would have to think long and hard before I bought the 295GTX... and I have a preference for nVidia.

Anyhow aslong as the GT300 is on target I'm set for now.

/me sneaks off to order a couple of Co-Op Hydros... or I would if they had more than 896Mb per GPU :S

Last edited:
Soldato
You would really spend another 100 QUID?! for what is 20fps more or so if that in a select few games?

Judging by those graphs the 295 is the faster card a lot of the time as well.. and I have a preference for ATi

DX11 isn't used and won't be used extensively till next year either.

I just say don't let the hype get the better of you, get the best value for money (this is of course assuming NVIDIA drop the arse on the 295 which they'd have to do to make anyone look twice!)

Last edited:
Associate
Having the 5870 compete with the GTX 285/295 is no bad thing as long as it meets the right price point. It makes far more sense to offer a chip that offers those levels of performance at a price cheaper than nVidia's current cards.

nVidia could very well respond by reducing the cost of their cards, but it would have to be of an amount that would persuade me to buy a hit and power-hungry dual chip solution over ATi's newer, more efficient chip (assuming that it is...).

Man of Honour
You would really spend another 100 QUID?! for what is 20fps more or so if that in a select few games?

Judging by those graphs the 295 is the faster card a lot of the time as well.. and I have a preference for ATi

DX11 isn't used and won't be used extensively till next year either.

I just say don't let the hype get the better of you, get the best value for money (this is of course assuming NVIDIA drop the arse on the 295 which they'd have to do to make anyone look twice!)

I've often spent well over 100 quid for another 20fps :S

Lack of reliance on SLI (good as it is) and DX11 functionality - even tho I don't really seeing it being extensively used for awhile - are kinda hard to ignore.

Possibly tho my perspective on it is somewhat skewed as I already have a decently OC'd 260GTX SLI setup and 295GTX doesn't seem so attractive.

Soldato
The 295 is beating the 5870 in half of those games @ 1920x1200.

Hmm all depends on pricing now, NVIDIA could still upset ATi I guess by completely dropping the price of the 295, which they could do since yields on the 295 are good and the product has been grounded for a long time

I'm sure a week or so after launch the price wars start :D, good for us lot so I'll be waiting a week or so after launch as NVIDIA will respond agressively and likewise ATi

u also have to remember 5870 has dx 11 support , will use probably twice less of power and less heat and when drivers will mature probably gain 5~10% , also we dont know how good they overclock

Soldato
u also have to remember 5870 has dx 11 support , will use probably twice less of power and less heat and when drivers will mature probably gain 5~10% , also we dont know how good they overclock

True, for me I don't give a rats turd about power consumption. I'll buy whats best for my money, even though I have a preference to the ATi side it's all about getting my best performance for the best cash, so I'll weigh up the options a few weeks after release.

I think NVIDIA would be bat **** crazy to leave the 295 at the current pricing. Then again their excuse might be, Oh we have Physx Cuda blah blah and be arrogant and not move on price

D13

D13

Associate
I think its what most ppl were basically expecting, its not OMG groundbreaking, but it is a nice clear step up from the previous gen.

Associate
addlogo.jpg

this looks more like it :p

Back
Top Bottom