Bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 850W PSU Overview.

Caporegime
BEQUIETPSU_BAN3_zpsb2cffckq.jpg~original

OcUk Product Page - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-095-BQ&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1083

Bequiet Product Page - http://www.bequiet.com/en/powersupply/584

Here is a quick unboxing and look at the Bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 850W PSU.

This is a platinum rated (up to 94% efficient) semi modular (the main 24pin ATX connector is attached) PSU designed and quality controlled in Germany.

Packaging

DSC_0001_zps1qshn5h4.jpg~original

The PSU comes in the usual box with lift up lid. On the outside are the usual list and highlights of key features and specifications.

It is heavy, very heavy, more so than my Antec HCP1000W.

DSC_0012_zpsx76hkcke.jpg~original

DSC_0025_zpskxbzhtun.jpg~original

Opening it up you are greeted by the comprehensive user's manual and it is worth reading as this PSU does have two features I have not seen before.

DSC_0013_zpsh4o5ocra.jpg~original

Cables to the left and PSU to the right.

Accessories

DSC_0105_zpsqkz8pdwu.jpg~original

Included are,

• Some cable ties and Velcro straps
• Two bags of different size screws
• Cable to connect fans to PSU.

DSC_0111_zpsjlk1oeck.jpg~original

This PCI bracket and switch (called overclocking key or OCX for short) converts the PSU from multi rail to single rail operation, the extra jumper is to make it a permanent switch without having to use the bracket, only use this function while the PSU is OFF.

Why would you want multi rail vs single rail you ask? Well looking around and doing a bit of research brings up many guides about a multi rail design being inherently safer as it is able to detect problems on an individual rail and shut down safely rather than a single rail design that could keep supplying voltage to its one rail until something burns up (PSU itself, cables or PC components etc) and before the over current protection kicks in.

PSU Body

DSC_0063_zpslotbkhmq.jpg~original

Looks great in the flesh with a nice stealthy finish to the body.

DSC_0065_zps7zk6rely.jpg~original

The PSU body measures 193 x 150 x 86mm for those wondering if it will fit into their case.

DSC_0069_zpsegeq4bjq.jpg~original

The cable connectors are secure and don't flex or wobble.

DSC_0166_zpsbl2cga9y.jpg~original

Both ends of the body have these rubber boots to help reduce vibration where the PSU would touch a case.

This is also why there are two different types of included mounting screws just in case the normal ones are not long enough to reach into the threads and bite if your case has thick metal.

DSC_0080_zpslt60wvf2.jpg~original

A Silent Wings 3 fan is fitted and this makes the PSU virtually silent.

Wattage and Amperage

Untitled_zpsuqcwurvp.png~original

This is the breakdown of the voltages, rails and amps per rail.

Cables

Untitled_zpsrlrf7dgx.png~original

DSC_0125_zps3yojqdty.jpg~original

The PSU comes with plenty of connectors for fairly demanding systems with six PCI-E connectors for multiple GPUs.

DSC_0138_zpsxqbtwghc.jpg~original

DSC_0059_zps2xuj8tqf.jpg~original

Looking more closely at the cables I would have preferred to see all black wires used, thus stopping the braiding from showing any colour through it.

Same goes for the OCX and fan cabling, if they were black it would have meant making a stealthy looking system easier.

Fan noise

Here is a short clip taken from powering ON the PSU and letting the PC sit for awhile.

Apart from the initial RPM spike until it settles down this PSU is whisper quite during normal use and game play using a Skylake+GTX980 based setup.

Unscientific testing

I do not have access to proper lab equipment or Chroma machines which are used to test a PSU thoroughly.

The best I can do is show the Gigabyte SIV software and HWinfo voltage reports.

Untitled_zpsrlwhtrmm.png~original

Conclusion

The Bequiet Dark Power Pro 11 850W is I believe one of the quietest PSU I have had in my hands so far, the only one that has been quieter was the Superflower Leadex 1000W Platinum when its fan turned off using Eco Mode.

But this PSU does not need Eco Mode, I guess that the high quality fan really is doing its job to the fullest as well as those rubber ends dampening any vibration to the case, coil whine was also absent during testing.

The warranty is 5yrs which is average amongst other comparable units, but some are longer still.

Platinum rating is good and that touch more efficient than a lower priced gold rated PSU but how long will it take to pay back this additional cost during average hourly use is open for debate.

Negatives to note are the visible coloured wires through the braid along with the coloured fan and OCX cable, fully modular would have been nice to see for any potential custom cable sets to make a themed build and the high price when compared to other 850W PSUs.

I am also not sure why you would want the option to be able to switch between multi rail or single rail operation, there is only one potential benefit that a multi rail design has and even then that is "if" you should ever have a problem which if you are buying a high quality PSU you should not have any worries.

So in summary a dead silent PSU that is expensive but I am sure will last for years and years.

Back
Top Bottom