1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bermuda Triangle plane mystery 'solved'

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by darubio, 14 Sep 2009.

1. darubio

Hitman

Two of the so-called Bermuda Triangle's most mysterious disappearances in the late 1940s may have been solved.

Scores of ships and planes are said to have vanished without trace over the decades in a vast triangular area of ocean with imaginary points in Bermuda, Florida and Puerto Rico.

But a new examination for a BBC series provides plausible explanations for the disappearance of two British commercial planes in the area, with the loss of 51 passengers and crew.

One plane probably suffered from catastrophic technical failure as a result of poor design, while the other is likely to have run out of fuel.
    Sixty years ago, commercial flights from London to Bermuda were new and perilous. It would require a refuelling stop on the Azores before the 2,000-mile flight to Bermuda, which at that time was the longest non-stop commercial overseas flight in the world.

The planes would have been operating at the limit of their range. Today planes arriving at the tiny Atlantic island have sufficient reserve fuel to divert to the US East Coast 700 miles away, in case of emergency.
    And the planes of the post-war era were far less reliable than today's airliners.

British South American Airways (BSAA), which operated the route, had a grim safety record. In three years it had had 11 serious accidents and lost five planes with 73 passengers and 22 crew members killed.

continue http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8248334.stm

2. Lysander

Capodecina

What, and no-one thought of this in sixty years?

3. Red and White

Sgarrista

freak mile high waves.

fact.

4. Tefal

Capo Crimine

"unexplainable mystery" sounds better than "our plane was ****, but the rest wont fail trust us" :p

5. misterPK

Mobster

That's a work of marketing genius!

PK!

6. Artest

Hitman

Disappointed it's not aliens. :(

7. Tefal

Capo Crimine

Don't be such a loon.

It was clearly undersea bubbles of methane gas rising and causing massive turbulence.

8. knowledge123

Mobster

imho :D

OT: I don't know why it took them so long to find this out, but it's all well and good, I guess :p
    BSAA's safety record sounds atrocious.

9. Sash

Mobster

Personally I think there is a Bioshock city in the bermuda triangle and the game is based on actual events.

10. Prophet

Soldato

The product of gigantic sea turtles I tell thee!!!!

11. Wossi

Mobster

It was actually a Megalodon, I thought everybody knew this? It would jump out the water and eat the planes/ships.

12. Sankari

Caporegime

"Mega Shark Versus Giant Octopus"?!

:eek: :confused:

13. Glaucus

Man of Honour

The cgi is rubbish, many parts are cringe worthy and the other parts are cheesy. Yet I still found it sort of enjoyable.

If you have ever watched the low budget films on sci-fi channel about the world ending. Be it a hurricane, sun spot or a earthquake that is heading for a nuclear power plant. Then you will know what to expect from this film.

I had to watch it due to the name.

I was hopping it would be that squadron of military planes that got lost.

14. NickK

Capodecina

There are locations where unnaturally high waves are common due to their location. The resulting wave fronts reinforce and the waves have a larger range than normal. One of the issues with some oil rig locations according a documentary. The effect really appears during storms when it causes very large waves.

Methane bubbles from deposits of a chemical that breaks down with higher temperatures which is usually solid. The bubbles from large incidents cause the density under the ship to decrease sharply to a point where the water can't support the ship, leading to it sinking.

15. Ciphon

Wise Guy

This really...

Surely private investigation's could have come up with this back then!

16. 998cc

Mobster

Thats already been explained.

17. zytok

Wise Guy

the two planes are to feature in Derren Brown's next show as he claims to have made them disappear by getting a bunch of people to will them to transmute into the 4th dimention.

18. Fenris

Sgarrista

"PLANE CRASH OVER OCEAN DUE TO MASSIVE SEA FART"

19. Glaucus

Man of Honour

got a linky must of missed that, or forgot.

20. swanseajack

Wise Guy

Hold on, solved "provides plausible explanations" that does not make it solved just because something could have happened.