Best £1,000 Gaming PC For 2018+ Onward ?

Soldato
So im going to order the parts tonight for sure, but i was wondering if there was any last minute discounts or discount codes even if I could just save a few pounds right before I buy it because its the first time ive ever spent this amount of money on something and its a real step up. Any last second discounts or codes you know of I could use??
I would ring tomorrow to make the order, in person, and see if you can haggle free delivery.

You could mention that this is your first build and that you've had the components specced on the OCuK forums and that the members advised you to get all components form OCuK. Mention that we've stretched your budget and that it was noted that they quite often waive delivery charges for large orders - i.e. £1000+... (it's not uncommon for them to waive delivery)

Associate
OP
I would ring tomorrow to make the order, in person, and see if you can haggle free delivery.

You could mention that this is your first build and that you've had the components specced on the OCuK forums and that the members advised you to get all components form OCuK. Mention that we've stretched your budget and that it was noted that they quite often waive delivery charges for large orders - i.e. £1000+... (it's not uncommon for them to waive delivery)
It's fine now, I've ordered it anyway. I dont think I would have been eligible for free delivery anyway since I bought a few of the parts on amazon because they were out of stock on OCUK. Thanks again for your help. I'll speak again when the parts arrive :)

Soldato
It's fine now, I've ordered it anyway. I dont think I would have been eligible for free delivery anyway since I bought a few of the parts on amazon because they were out of stock on OCUK. Thanks again for your help. I'll speak again when the parts arrive :)
I'll talk you through the BIOS update when you're ready - and bullet point a step by step process.

Until then prepare by freshly formatting a USB pen drive using FAT 32 and installing the latest BIOS file, F6, for your motherboard from here -Clicky - onto it.

I'll talk you through installation if required - but if your Dad does it make sure he uses the Gigabyte Q-Flash utility (he may be familiar with it) - safest and most fool proof option.

Associate
OP
I'll talk you through the BIOS update when you're ready - and bullet point a step by step process.

Until then prepare by freshly formatting a USB pen drive using FAT 32 and installing the latest BIOS file, F6, for your motherboard from here -Clicky - onto it.

I'll talk you through installation if required - but if your Dad does it make sure he uses the Gigabyte Q-Flash utility (he may be familiar with it) - safest and most fool proof option.
If you could talk me through how I get the "BIOS Files" on my pendrive that would be great. Also is there a specific size for the USB? Or will any USB do? And how do I format it?

Soldato
If you could talk me through how I get the "BIOS Files" on my pendrive that would be great. Also is there a specific size for the USB? Or will any USB do? And how do I format it?
You'll need a standard USB stick - size under 16gb - i usually use 8Gb (the file is tiny - but if you have too bigger stick some boards can take issue).

Then:
  • **Make sure you back up everything on the pen drive - we're effectively wiping it when we format it.
  • stick it in a USB port
  • When the drive pops up in File Explorer RMB (Right Mouse Button click) on the drive
  • Select Format
  • Select Format FAT 32 (File system box)
  • Start
  • wait for it to complete
Then you will need to get the F6 BIOS from here - Clicky.

Once downloaded unzip and save only the AB350MG3.F6 file to the USB stick.

You will now have your pen drive prepped for BIOS update using Q Flash.

*N.B. Could you clarify that you are still getting the Gigabyte AB30M Gaming 3 motherboard?

Associate
OP
You'll need a standard USB stick - size under 16gb - i usually use 8Gb (the file is tiny - but if you have too bigger stick some boards can take issue).

Then:
  • **Make sure you back up everything on the pen drive - we're effectively wiping it when we format it.
  • stick it in a USB port
  • When the drive pops up in File Explorer RMB (Right Mouse Button click) on the drive
  • Select Format
  • Select Format FAT 32 (File system box)
  • Start
  • wait for it to complete
Then you will need to get the F6 BIOS from here - Clicky.

Once downloaded unzip and save only the AB350MG3.F6 file to the USB stick.

You will now have your pen drive prepped for BIOS update using Q Flash.

*N.B. Could you clarify that you are still getting the Gigabyte AB30M Gaming 3 motherboard?
I have an 8gb USB here but when I try to format it following the steps you said, it comes up with an error message saying "The disk is write protected". Not sure what to do here, I could get another USB as I have had trouble using this one in the past.

*The motherboard I bought is the one you listed on your first post : Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard

EDIT : I also had to change the kind of RAM I bought to a different brand because the one you listed was out of stock, so I got my friend to choose a RAM that was the same compatability and he went with this : Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL14 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black
Could you confirm that this RAM is compatible?

Last edited:
Soldato
I have an 8gb USB here but when I try to format it following the steps you said, it comes up with an error message saying "The disk is write protected". Not sure what to do here, I could get another USB as I have had trouble using this one in the past.

This usually requires a regedit fix - simple enough but would be easier if you could borrow another pendrive that's not so fussy.

Soldato
uhhhh not too sure... It says 2400 MHz on the amazon page... did I make a mistake?

Firstly, you need to remove the competitor link, and stop naming them or you'll end up with a forum suspension/ban.

Secondly, what does the actual RAM packaging say? Put the model number in your next post, it's printed on the packet, if it's CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 then it is the 2400MHz kit, and will work but is not as fast as the 3000MHz and above kits which give you quite a bit more performance from the Ryzen platform.

Soldato
uhhhh not too sure... It says 2400 MHz on the amazon page... did I make a mistake?
Afraid so, 3000MHz is the ideal - price to performance ratio. Although, you maybe misreading description on the pack.

Just seen alert and read Journey post - basically that.

If you have bought 2400MHzby mistake I would personally swap the for 3000MHz kits as the gains are worth it.

On mobile...

Soldato
5-6 frames on a game that you are getting 60fps on is 10%, that's 10% speed for zero cost. In fact the RAM as OCUK was actually cheaper at only £119.50 for 2x8GB 3000MHz, so you've ended up with less for £15 more.

I'm not having a go, but being impatient and ignoring the advice you asked for, which a lot of people have helped you with isn't going to help you. I understand it is exciting getting new gear, and having up and running asap, but how long will it be before you get another computer. Take your time, and do it right first time - advice from my father, and he is a joiner by trade where mistakes cost money. :)

Soldato
Yes, the model number is CMK16GX4M2A2400C14. If the "significant performance loss" mean only about 5-6 frames (which is what my friend is saying) then I'm not too concerned.

I personally would swap the gains are more involved than FPS alone - you've paid premium price for 2400MHz memory. You ideally would have paid £120 for Team Group set 3000MHz.

As you've ordered parts from OCuK they may send you some out with free p&p - which would cover the difference easily of the return.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

EDIT: Hehe - you're getting the same advice in stereo - but hopefully you will see we're trying to get you the best bang for your buck.

Additional: The retailer you ordered the 2400MHz kit will take it back no questions asked - probably even cover return postage.​

Soldato
Take your time, and do it right first time - advice from my father, and he is a joiner by trade where mistakes cost money. :)

Your father sounds like mine - although he was more 'do as i say, not what i do' - and he was from the midlands (just noticed your location). I was there for 6 months, from birth, before being whisked away to become a Southern softy :)

Associate
OP
I personally would swap the gains are more involved than FPS alone - you've paid premium price for 2400MHz memory. You ideally would have paid £120 for Team Group set 3000MHz.

As you've ordered parts from OCuK they may send you some out with free p&p - which would cover the difference easily of the return.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

EDIT: Hehe - you're getting the same advice in stereo - but hopefully you will see we're trying to get you the best bang for your buck.

Additional: The retailer you ordered the 2400MHz kit will take it back no questions asked - probably even cover return postage.​
Ughh, I should have asked you for advice before I bought it but it has already arrived and I don't know what to do now.
I dont really wanna send it back and wait even longer but I really dont know...................

Last edited:
Soldato
Ughh, I should have asked you for advice before I bought it but it has already arrived and I don't know what to do now.
I dont really wanna send it back and wait even longer but I really dont know...................
You wouldn't have to wait.

You order the memory from OCuK now - arrives Tuesday and the other retailer would accept the return of the memory without any issue at all (pack it up and post off on Monday - back on your CC Wednesday).

You would be without memory for 1 day.

Unless you have everything else already?..

Back
Top Bottom