Best £1,000 Gaming PC For 2018+ Onward ?

Soldato
If you call that a bargain, I've found one for £2.49 on ebay. Genuine activation key and everything! Had great reviews, one of the hottest items on ebay, 700 bought a day so i bought one and sure enough i've got the key.
I know of them - but you need to be aware that you can't talk about them on the fourm

You weren't to know but it's against forum rules - i would edit your post. Don't sweat it - it's an easy mistake for new members.

But, i will add there's always a risk with rock bottom price keys - the more reputable the better the first sounded more legit.

Forum Rules - Clicky.

Associate
OP
I know of them - but you need to be aware that you can't talk about them on the fourm

You weren't to know but it's against forum rules - i would edit your post. Don't sweat it - it's an easy mistake for new members.

But, i will add there's always a risk with rock bottom price keys - the more reputable the better the first sounded more legit.

Forum Rules - Clicky.
Ok so some point tonight will be the first time I plug in and load up my new PC. I have no Idea what to expect when first pressing the power button so if you could list the instructions of steps I need to go through when I first launch it that would be great.

Soldato
Ok so some point tonight will be the first time I plug in and load up my new PC. I have no Idea what to expect when first pressing the power button so if you could list the instructions of steps I need to go through when I first launch it that would be great.
You've had help from your Dad too?

I would boot up with just one stick of memory and disconnect the SSD/HDD (just the SATA lead) and go straight to the BIOS and monitor temps.

When you switch on, tap the delete key repeatedly and that will take you to the BIOS. You want to sit in there and watch temps (refer to your manual to get to right page - it's important that you get familiar with the basics of the manual).

If things seem stable/temps OK, personally, i would then flash to the latest BIOS for improved memory compatibility/overall stability. (USB prepped?)

Once that is flashed we'll check the BIOS again - then turn off, hook up only the SSD (leave the HDD disconnected) and then install Windows 10

Additional: Download the AMD chipset drivers (motherboard) straight from AMD and get your drivers for your GFX card from Nvidia.

Associate
OP
You've had help from your Dad too?

I would boot up with just one stick of memory and disconnect the SSD/HDD (just the SATA lead) and go straight to the BIOS and monitor temps.

When you switch on, tap the delete key repeatedly and that will take you to the BIOS. You want to sit in there and watch temps (refer to your manual to get to right page - it's important that you get familiar with the basics of the manual).

If things seem stable/temps OK, personally, i would then flash to the latest BIOS for improved memory compatibility/overall stability. (USB prepped?)

Once that is flashed we'll check the BIOS again - then turn off, hook up only the SSD (leave the HDD disconnected) and then install Windows 10

Additional: Download the AMD chipset drivers (motherboard) straight from AMD and get your drivers for your GFX card from Nvidia.
I dont have enough USB sticks to do all this, I only have the 1 that I put my motherboard thing you told me to download on, and then Im going to use a 150GB hard drive with a USB connector to load my operating system. I dont have any other USB's.
Also I still dont understand a thing your saying about "Watch temps" or "flash to the latest BIOS".
By saying "boot up with only one stick of memory and disconnect the ssd/hdd" are you meaning I should open the PC all up again, remove all the wiring and take out the SSD and 1 stick of RAM? I really dont want to take it all apart again it took us so long to get it all put together and there is just wires bunched up inside the PC.

P.S : If there is any possible way we could go on some kind of live chat whilst I load it up for the first time so i can tell you what is on my screen and you could tell me what to press that would be so helpful.

P.P.S : I dont know what GTX means or "Chipset"

Associate
OP
I dont have enough USB sticks to do all this, I only have the 1 that I put my motherboard thing you told me to download on, and then Im going to use a 150GB hard drive with a USB connector to load my operating system. I dont have any other USB's.
Also I still dont understand a thing your saying about "Watch temps" or "flash to the latest BIOS".
By saying "boot up with only one stick of memory and disconnect the ssd/hdd" are you meaning I should open the PC all up again, remove all the wiring and take out the SSD and 1 stick of RAM? I really dont want to take it all apart again it took us so long to get it all put together and there is just wires bunched up inside the PC.

P.S : If there is any possible way we could go on some kind of live chat whilst I load it up for the first time so i can tell you what is on my screen and you could tell me what to press that would be so helpful.

P.P.P.S : When do I plug in the USB that has that thing you told me download on the other day ( the mother board thing you told me to download of the website of my motherbaord manufacturer) when do i plug that in?

Soldato
I dont have enough USB sticks to do all this, I only have the 1 that I put my motherboard thing you told me to download on, and then Im going to use a 150GB hard drive with a USB connector to load my operating system. I dont have any other USB's."
Don't worry download it when you have Windows 10 installed.
When your system boots for the first time and you press 'delete'- you will enter the BIOS. Within the environment there's a screen/TAB that will display your CPU temp - you will monitor this to check that it's within tolerance.

Flashing the BIOS is referring to what we prepped the USB stick for (that file you saved onto it) - i'll talk you through it when and if i think you're ready. (You mentioned your Dad build/knew about computers - he should be able to fill in some of the blanks here)

I wasn't suggesting you take it apart - but ideally you would remove one stick (for the flash)- and just unplug the SATA lead from the HDD - but we'll leave the SSD plugged in and both sticks (it's too much to explain why). But i stress you're only unplugging the lead from the HDD - absolutely no need to remove the drive or other wiring!

Sorry no - i'm working, but i will look out for your posts. I've done it many times before and if i'm free I will respond almost immediately - i have three screens; i'll have the forums open on one so will see your alerts.
It means graphics card and motherboard chipset drivers - I'll get you links don't worry.
P.P.P.S : When do I plug in the USB that has that thing you told me download on the other day ( the mother board thing you told me to download of the website of my motherbaord manufacturer) when do i plug that in?
That's the BIOS i directed you to download in readiness for flashing - just post when you've disconnected the HDD SATA lead and switched on the PC while pressing delete. Look at your manual and search out the screen for monitoring temps - i.e. looking at them (i know where it is but would like you to try and navigate to the screen yourself.) Once there post back - unless you're get stuck... Whatever you do don't save and exit - just switch it off at the back of the PSU for now.

Additional: List your complete spec - and i mean everything - brand and model.

Last edited:
Soldato
Your so nice Plec even renaming links, Will you marry me ? ;)
Well that's a new one - I woke up as someone's new Saviour and God after spending 2 hrs getting his RAID back - but this is my first marriage proposal.

Unless that Micky tag is a cutesy name for Michelle (female version) and you're rocking Jennifer Lawrence/Christina Hendrix physique and looks I'll think respectfully decline. Although, i would consider a Scarlet Johansson look too - i'm not too fussy :)

*You just cost me a painful poke in the ribs from my wife!!! :D

Man of Honour
Sorry about the dig in the ribs from from the wife Plec but reasure her that im all man and also married ( which i think my wife will be bruising my ribs also) it was just a moment of madness from a crazed Plecafile.

Plecafile meaning

A follower of wisdom from the chosen one.

Soldato
A follower of wisdom from the chosen one.
Lol - you give me far more credit than i deserve (even in jest) - i just look for any excuse for a distraction from real work.

Plus, (as you may have read in other threads) we're having our house completely renovated so i spend most of my time locked in my study. Usually with the kids sat by me or playing in a corner as it's probably the cosiest room in the house at the moment. As soon as the builders have gone - i will venture out again and actually get our life back proper.

*Some advice - never, ever, project manage your own build - it's a f'ing nightmare. I'm amazed i've not turned up on the news driving down the wrong way of the M5 while humming, Eminem's 'Stan' with a couple of builders in the boot of my car. :D

Soldato
@LukeMcCormick - presuming you're out for the night - i'm taking my laptop with me to bed to finish off a report but suspect i'll catch you tomorrow if you're about in the afternoon/evening.

Unless of course you've muddled your way through already?..

Associate
OP
@LukeMcCormick - presuming you're out for the night - i'm taking my laptop with me to bed to finish off a report but suspect i'll catch you tomorrow if you're about in the afternoon/evening.

Unless of course you've muddled your way through already?..
Yeah, sometime tommorow I'll be posting on here. As soon as my dad comes home were gonna take my monitor downstairs and plug the PC in to make sure it's working, then ill tell you when. :) thanks again for all of your help so far

Soldato
Yeah, sometime tommorow I'll be posting on here. As soon as my dad comes home were gonna take my monitor downstairs and plug the PC in to make sure it's working, then ill tell you when. :) thanks again for all of your help so far
No worries.

As mentioned list your spec (or copy and paste the one i specced if it's the same) - just to be sure i know what i'm working with.

Before you switch on disconnect all the sata leads from the motherboard (don't unplug anything from the SSD/HDD), and one stick of memory. Also, clarify the slots that you've put the memory in - i'll specify the slots they should be in when you list your spec.

Also, be sure that you've plugged your monitor cable into the graphics card and not the motherboard - it's an easy rookie mistake.

And keep pressing that delete key on boot to access the BIOS - find the temp monitoring screen (manual) and report back with readings. Then we'll take it form there...

Once we've established temps are stable we'll flash the BIOS - which will involve that pen drive and the q-flash utility if you have the Gigabyte board. This will mean pressing <end> on boot - but will go inot more details tomorrow afternoon (maybe morning depends on when you're about).

Associate
OP
No worries.

As mentioned list your spec (or copy and paste the one i specced if it's the same) - just to be sure i know what i'm working with.

Before you switch on disconnect all the sata leads from the motherboard (don't unplug anything from the SSD/HDD), and one stick of memory. Also, clarify the slots that you've put the memory in - i'll specify the slots they should be in when you list your spec.

Also, be sure that you've plugged your monitor cable into the graphics card and not the motherboard - it's an easy rookie mistake.

And keep pressing that delete key on boot to access the BIOS - find the temp monitoring screen (manual) and report back with readings. Then we'll take it form there...

Once we've established temps are stable we'll flash the BIOS - which will involve that pen drive and the q-flash utility if you have the Gigabyte board. This will mean pressing <end> on boot - but will go inot more details tomorrow afternoon (maybe morning depends on when you're about).
My basket at Overclockers UK:

1 x Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard= £87.95
1 x AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail= £188.99
1 x Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C14 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz CL14 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit - Black
1 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Windforce 2x OC 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card= £419.99
1 x Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black= £69.95
1 x Hynix SL308 250GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Hard Drive (HFS250G32TND-N1A0A)= £79.99
1 x Toshiba P300 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache High Performance Hard Drive (HDWD110UZSVA)= £38.99
1 x Aerocool QS-240 Micro-ATX Case - Black= £29.99

Total: £1,047.05
(includes shipping: £11.70)

Soldato
Well, the BIOS i directed you to and installed on your USB is the right one - so you're all set for that.

Have you booted to BIOS?

Associate
OP
Well, the BIOS i directed you to and installed on your USB is the right one - so you're all set for that.

Have you booted to BIOS?
Right so me and my dad have just plugged in the power supply and tried our first ever boot of the PC and...... nothing happened. No fans started spinning, nothing in the PC moved or made any sound. Nothing. We are currently trying to fix this issue. We suspect we might have plugged the POWER SW cable into the wrong place on the motherboard..

Soldato
Aye, my wife laughs at me for that every time !

Long as you've got your mobo 24 pin in, the 4/8 pin by the CPU in and the GPU PCIe power cables plugged in then your all good. Believe gigabyte cards have an led by power plug bit, if it's a solid glow before power up your good on that front

Soldato
Right so me and my dad have just plugged in the power supply and tried our first ever boot of the PC and...... nothing happened. No fans started spinning, nothing in the PC moved or made any sound. Nothing. We are currently trying to fix this issue. We suspect we might have plugged the POWER SW cable into the wrong place on the motherboard..

As above but you could short the SW pins with a screwdriver to attempt boot if necessary. I'll explain if required...

The front panel connectors (case connectors) usually have a little black arrow/triangle denoting the positive connection - double check.

Is the motherboard securely fitted to the risers? (did you fit the risers?) - i.e. make sure there is no movement between motherboard and case? Also did you count the risers in and the amount of screws you used to screw in the motherboard? (You're sure they aligned with the holes of the motherboard?)

Pull one stick of memory out for now and make sure the other is securely locked in - when you press it down the catches will have pressed into the memory locking it in place.

I'm free'ish now will be totally free in 30 minutes?

If you have no luck we'll have to strip it back and try with minimum connections to motherboard - don't worry we won't be taking anything out (apart form one stick of memory).

Back
Top Bottom