Best £1,000 Gaming PC For 2018+ Onward ?

Associate
OP
As above but you could short the SW pins with a screwdriver to attempt boot if necessary. I'll explain if required...

The front panel connectors (case connectors) usually have a little black arrow/triangle denoting the positive connection - double check.

Is the motherboard securely fitted to the risers? (did you fit the risers?) - i.e. make sure there is no movement between motherboard and case? Also did you count the risers in and the amount of screws you used to screw in the motherboard? (You're sure they aligned with the holes of the motherboard?)

Pull one stick of memory out for now and make sure the other is securely locked in - when you press it down the catches will have pressed into the memory locking it in place.

I'm free'ish now will be totally free in 30 minutes?

If you have no luck we'll have to strip it back and try with minimum connections to motherboard - don't worry we won't be taking anything out (apart form one stick of memory).
Welp. It's been a few hours and here I am typing this from my brand new PC. I followed most of the steps you told me about and I have everything set up now. I downloaded the drivers for my GPU and installed a few of my games and started playing. First game I tested was PUBG. Runs flawlessly and I'm super happy about it. Can't wait to start playing some other games too!

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me out with building this (Especially you @Plec and all the other people :) ), you've given me the best birthday I've ever had. I'm so happy that I finally have everything working and get to relax and enjoy my games.

I'll keep you up to date with how it goes in the next few days (that is, if you still care)

Is there anything else left for me to do with my new system?

Soldato
Thank you so much to everyone who helped me out with building this (Especially you @Plec and all the other people :) ), you've given me the best birthday I've ever had. I'm so happy that I finally have everything working and get to relax and enjoy my games

Great - and no problem.

Is there anything else left for me to do with my new system?
A couple of things (nothing major) - but i would use and abuse for while to assess how stable it is. Just have fun with it, it's the best type of stress test...

Did you install the chipset drivers from AMD?

I'll keep subscribed to the thread in case you run into troubles - and when you're ready we'll set your memory up via the XMP - but no hurry.

Additional: Did you flash the BIOS? Again no worries if you haven't - can be done later if you start having stability issues.

Associate
OP
Great - and no problem.

A couple of things (nothing major) - but i would use and abuse for while to assess how stable it is. Just have fun with it, it's the best type of stress test...

Did you install the chipset drivers from AMD?

I'll keep subscribed to the thread in case you run into troubles - and when you're ready we'll set your memory up via the XMP - but no hurry.

Additional: Did you flash the BIOS? Again no worries if you haven't - can be done later if you start having stability issues.
When I got the PC hooked up to a monitor and booted it up for the first time it gave some kind of error message like " boot with an acceptable boot drive " or something like that. I then powered down the system, plugged in the USB we prepped earlier and spammed the DEL key. It opened the BIOS menu. I then navigated to the "Save and Exit" screen where you could choose from a list of devices to boot from. I selected the USB that had my windows 10 on it and booted that one. From here I went throught the normal windows 10 installation process. If this is what you meant by "flash the bios" all along then yes, if not, inform me please :)

Soldato
If this is what you meant by "flash the bios" all along then yes, if not, inform me please :)
No, that was your Windows 10 install - if you used the same Pendrive that we saved the BIOS to it will have been overwritten by Windows 10 - it's not a problem.

However, if you still have the pendrive with your BIOS saved onto it plugged into your computer, i would remove it and put it aside for later. The Flash process is completely different and we will use a separate utility called q-flash - but that's for another day. Just enjoy your computer for now.

EDIT: And Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
Associate
Excuse me for hijacking the thread, but I'm currently looking for a similar build/budget.
@Plec Was there a particular reason for the MicroATX build? Was it purely cost saving?

Also was there anything in the build you suggested that you really had to grit your teeth to put in? Obviously everything is there to out the build on budget, but wondered if there was a compromise that could be avoided with just a little more£££
(I know this is totally a "it depends on your budget" question, but thought I'd ask)

Any help or advice gratefully received.
Cheers

Associate
Gaming Processors Around $200
In my opinion, there are only a couple of processors that really give you a good value here. In 2018, you should be taking a look at the Skylake i5-7600k and the Intel 8th Gen Coffee Lake i5-8400. Coffee Lake is Intel's most recent generation of processor and is the right choice if prices are similar.
What about AMD?
AMd's Ryzen 5 offers you 6 cores and 12 threads for the same price point that the i5-7600k gives you 4 cores and 4 threads. IPC will still be higher on the Intel processor and should give you a few more frames for most games, but there is a case to be made for those of you who do editing or a lot of multitasking.
Games that take advantage of a lot of cores now and in the future may even play better with the Ryzen 5. Ultimately, you'll have to decide what you think is most important.
So, ultimately go with whichever one you'd prefer. If you go with the Kaby Lake, you'll likely go over the $1,000 budget by around $50. Using a previous generation Skylake processor, on the other hand, should allow you to maintain it or even go below it.
A Good CPU Cooler Under $50
In the under $50 space, there's one CPU cooler that for me really sticks out above the rest. The Hyper 212 Evo from Cooler Master is usually available for around $30 and is one of the better options below $75. At that price range, I'd recommend you look at other coolers including the Noctua 6 for air cooling, or NZXT Kraken or Corsair Hydro series for water cooling.

@bimaloy30 I have no idea why you are recommending 6th and 7th Gen CPU's when the 8th Gen ones are £30 more and have 2 extra cores!

@Myphatarz Can i suggest you make a new thread, stating your own requirements such as main uses and budget, you will probably get a better response.

Back
Top Bottom