Best 128GB SSD?

Associate
So what's the general consensus on what the best 128GB SSD is?

I'm talking best for speed and all the required features like TRIM for example, and of course reasonable VFM.

Cheers,

Soldato
SandForce drives are getting good reviews, including the C300. It is likely a good buy if you already have a SATA 6Gb/s motherboard.

Plenty of reviews about, give one a read.

Associate
OP
nice one i'm thinking the C300 sounds like a good drive but i don't have Sata 3 and won't be upgrading for at least another year or so. would running something as high end as a C300 be crippled on SATA2?

cheers,

Soldato
Not sure, I'd imagine that at least one of the reviews for the C300 would have covered that very point.

The C300 is a fast drive from what I've read, so I can't see it being a huge issue, but best to check a few reviews for confirmation

Associate
as far as I have read the drive (crucial300) does not get crippled on SATA2 just performs at/near-max SATA2 speeds rather than SATA3 ofc

As far as drives to recommend I've only tried the vertex 120GB which I have. Had a problem with my first vertex (after 1 year of use mind u and it appears it was a well-known problem with some of the old flash chips and the latest firmware) but OCZ immediately suggested I should RMA the drive and shipped me out a brand new drive within the same week. Brilliant drive and brilliant customer service should you need help.

Associate
OP
that's good to know, cheers.

just one more question then: how does one flash one of these drives? I presume this is doable without some kind of horrible floppy drive and a jumper these days, as I have access to neither :)

cheers,

Associate
well the original vertex had a jumper on it, but all the new vertex's are jumper-less and can be flashed via a boot-able ISO that OCZ make available. Its very easy to do and OCZ have guides and detailed explanations on their forums (along with excellent support/community). Not sure about other ssds jumper/flash-wise though I assume its similar

Soldato
intels flash pretty much the same as well.

they just have a generic update iso that contains the firmware for all drives.

you just boot it up and it'll install the correct one for your drive

Back
Top Bottom