Best 55 Oled

Associate
Good Morning
Just noticed a lovely bright light line starting at the nottom of my 2016 LG TV and was thinking it's a good time to buy a OLED.
I noticed the new range of LG's are out for this year and as much as I like LG I am not brand adverse (other than Samsung).
Grateful for the recommendations of what people consider to be the best 55inch tv around.
Will be on a stand and NOT wall mounted, will be used for TV/ Movies, gamings on a seperate tv.
Thanks in advance.

Soldato
The new 2021 models only just starting to pop up, so may want to hold off for more reviews.

As it's just for TV and movies then if it was 2020 model you would want the Panasonic TX55HZ2000B. I believe they being replaced by the JZ2000 series but will probably be above £3000 even for the 55" model. But that would be your best oled as you won't need for gaming.

https://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/televisions/4K-OLED-TV/tx-55jz2000b.html

Soldato
I can confirm that somehow Panasonics oled TVs give the best oled picture (well to my eye). OS is a bit pants as is its built in smart features. For gaming you're better off with a LG. Best way unfortunately is to see them side by side along with the Sonys. Covid won't permit that or finding a store that will have them to physically see.

Associate
if ou have a Costco near you, then they have both the LG and Sony models on display side by side. Both had excellent picture quality and came pre-installed with the most useful apps such as Netflix, Prime video, and the various catch-up TV app. I thought the build quality was slightly better on the Sony A8H, and given they were the same price (within £20 for the 55! models) that was the one I went for. I've not been disappointed at all.

Soldato
CX oled best all rounder, to be frank it doesn't matter which you go for as long as it fits your budget, your comparing Ferraris to Lambos to McLaren with that question.

All panels are made by LG.

Sony offer the best motion controls but Android TV is like marmite (no britbox either)

LG offer the best all-round experience.

The others I have no idea ha ha, I believe Panasonic offer HDR10+ along side DV but tbh DV is the only HDR format that should be front and center.

Soldato
if ou have a Costco near you, then they have both the LG and Sony models on display side by side. Both had excellent picture quality and came pre-installed with the most useful apps such as Netflix, Prime video, and the various catch-up TV app. I thought the build quality was slightly better on the Sony A8H, and given they were the same price (within £20 for the 55! models) that was the one I went for. I've not been disappointed at all.

Aren't store tvs all fed by the same source so comparing the same video wouldn't be easy?

Associate
Aren't store tvs all fed by the same source so comparing the same video wouldn't be easy?
My local store allows you to plug in your own source material via USB stick if you can find a friendly member of staff who knows about the TVs. Obviously all the TVs are at their factory default settings, and not optimised for the store's bright viewing environment, but it was enough for me to determine there was virtually no difference in picture quality between the LG and Sony TVs. I can live with the Android TV menu system, and in the end it came down to subjective build quality. I honestly don't think anyone would be disappointed with either choice, and just go with what the best deal you can find :)

Soldato
Sony A90J hands down when the container ship finally arrives in a few weeks
Sounds like either that or LG G1 or the Panasonic equivalent which all have that new Evo panel.

Would love that Sony but don't think anyone who had received it has managed to do gsync/vvr with Nvidia gpus on it yet.

Soldato
Sounds like either that or LG G1 or the Panasonic equivalent which all have that new Evo panel.

Would love that Sony but don't think anyone who had received it has managed to do gsync/vvr with Nvidia gpus on it yet.
I don’t do any gaming on my TV, so for me it’s all about processing, scaling and picture quality and for that Sony is head and shoulders above anyone else

Soldato
I don’t do any gaming on my TV, so for me it’s all about processing, scaling and picture quality and for that Sony is head and shoulders above anyone else

I was the same but then I just had a kid and I seem to do more of my gaming on the TV than my desk :D. Was seriously considering the Sony solely for those reasons as it is by far the best from what I've seen so far. They've smashed it out of the park with this new master series tv.

Just hoping and praying someone gets it to work so I can get it :D

Soldato

Maybe with their new one we shall see... But the Panasonic HZ2000 was ahead in terms of picture quality on movies/TV by a fair distance.

Until some proper reviews come out of the G1, A90J, JZ1500/2000 it's anyone's game at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom