1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best connection for dvd viewing on a dell2405fpw?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by Nixeh, 17 Feb 2006.

1. Nixeh

Hitman

Currently got a multiregional dvd player rigged up to my Dell2405fpw via composite. Ive noticed it seems to get a bit patchy in high saturated colours and gets a kinda like crosshatch pattern.

Which connection would be best to use?

The dvd player outputs to scart, composite and coaxial.

2. Aruffell

Soldato

Coaxial be best.

3. Nixeh

Hitman

Coaxial to what to be precise. Dont really wanna get something like coaxial to composite if its bottlenecked by the composite and causes a fuzzy picture.

4. badbob

PermaBanned

That's digital audio. :rolleyes:

DVD players should have composite, S-video, Component, SCART with RGB, HDMI, VGA or DVI.

At least use Component or SCART RGB. If you've got a fancier player use HDMI.

Audio is transmitted either from L/R downmix, 5.1 DD/DTS decoder builtin, optical and digital outputs. If you've got external DAC/multi speaker processing ie DD/DTS use digital outputs.

Not sure how you would connect a DVD player to a PC monitor, I guess VGA or DVI/HDMI. My DVD player has VGA output.

5. Aruffell

Soldato

Sorry, i meant Component.

If it has s-video use that, if not then component will be best as the monitor doesn't have scart.

Andy

6. Smiley Man

Soldato

the 2405 has component

i use component to connect my dvd recorder and the pic seems pretty good :)

7. Nixeh

Hitman

yeah composite is a bit patchy. the dvd player does have s-video out but doesnt have component.

Prices i have seen for component cables are roughly £20+, i bought my scart to composite for £3

Not sure if this will get frowned upon but anyone got any good highstreet shops where i can pick up component cables cheap, or a cheap good quality component manufacturer. would be a great help.

8. badbob

PermaBanned

9. Nixeh

Hitman

Correct me if im wrong but thats just the bog standard cable without the connectors. Done a search there on component and couldnt find anything

10. badbob

PermaBanned

You can get reels/length of cables but also ready made cables, or custom cables. I have some of their RCA-RCA coaxial 3M, about £7 per cable.

Is your monitor BNC? DVD player? or RCA on both?

11. Smiley Man

Soldato

if the dvd player doesnt have component whats the point in buying a component cable?

it seems the best connection you have on both the dvd player and monitor is svideo - so use that