Best current ADSL Modem/Router?

Associate
I would recommend against going for value brand name routers if you can help it. A friend of mine has had one and, although it worked fine for a while, eventually his pings would sky rocket everytime he entered a game server for five minutes. Also any http downloads would not gather any kind of speed for a time, after which it would download normally. Strange behaviour. We thought initially it was his isp, however he had changed his isp but he still had those same problems.

I have a zyxel 650hw (that looks fine imho and considering its neatly tucked away, looks really should not come into it :rolleyes: )that is capable of download speeds of upto 8mb and it wasnt that expensive when i bought it. It was about the same price as any other decent named router iirc. This model is now obsolete, its been replaced by the 660HW, the only difference being is that it is capable of utilising adsl2+.

If you are wanting to future proof your hardware maybe you should consider getting an adsl2+ capable router? Not much more expensive then normal adsl routers, and you can still use even if you live in an area that isn't adsl2+ enabled. If you sign up for a particular isps' adsl2+ service they require that you purchase there adsl2+ router, which tends to be more expensive then buying this router elsewhere.

I hope i haven't confused the issue even more btw. Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I dont want anything that would be wireless, I am just after something simple, and it looks like a wires-only solution is the most guaranteed way of being reliable and simple to setup.

Soldato
The difference in price is negligible. There is no difference in performance and WLAN can be turned off... it's useful to have for a little flexibility e.g. a WiFi device turns up at some stage.

Associate
OP
I can buy the network cards on here, I just need to know the best ADSL router around at the moment. The BT router looks good, but are they any good, or is there another ADSL router that is a better performing one?

Back
Top Bottom