Best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem?

Soldato
Hi,

I just moved to the US and am going to sign up for cable internet with Comcast. I will sorely miss Hyperoptic in London, but this is my only option here :(

I want to buy my own cable modem and I was wondering what the best DOCSIS 3.1 model is, so I can be somewhat future proofed. I used to have a Motorola SB6141 (now Arris), and I understand that's a reliable brand.

Are there any newer makes/models that come highly recommended please?

Thanks,

Suman

Soldato
Haha sadly not... In Boston, options are limited!

Do you not have Verizon FiOS available? I'm sure they were supposed to be rolling out there.

Not in a area that Google cover? Would love me some 1GB up and down.

Google only covers about 10 cities but AT&T is rapidly rolling out FTTP across its footprint and Verizon has FiOS in many states. I have Gigabit FiOS at home.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sadly no Fios here, Verizon only offer DSL in my building :(

I went with the Motorola in the end... Apparently it's just a rebranded Zoom unit, but all three docsis 3.1 modems seem to use the same broadcom chipset anyway, so I assume there's no major difference.

As an aside, it's so sad to see a historic brand like Motorola butchered and sold off like this... Sigh :(

Su

Soldato
Ah, that's a shame :(

I'd probably go for the Arris SB8200 if you really want a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, whatever you do avoid the 6190 as it has that awful Intel chipset that causes latency spikes.

Back
Top Bottom