Best Fans for Filtered Cases

Associate
Hello,

I may or may not purchase a Fractal Design Define 7XL for my next build and I have a question about fans. Since the case has a filtered front I want fans which will be effective at pull air through the filters whilst still providing high cfm.

Are there any fans you would recommend for this? The sound of the fans aren't a huge issue as I game with a headset, so unless they are so loud someone on the floor below me could hear it noise doesn't bother me too much.

I was planning on having 4 120mm fans at the front instead of 3 140mms. I know the 4 120mms will only provide slightly better cooling than 3 140mms but I want to prioritise good cooling over low noise.

Thanks!

Soldato
Arctic P12/P14 are very good for working with restrictions, have extremely smooth noise profile and are very reasonably priced.

Soldato
Good case but stock fans are no good. I would get PH-F140MP over Arctic P series. And use 3x 140mm fans raher than 4x 120mm. 2x 140mm fans of same design give same airflow as 3x 120mm fans, so 3x 140mm fans will give more airflow than 4x 120mm fans. I would remove all PCIe back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU to improving front to back airflow in same area which will give lower airflow temps and thus lower operating temps. Block off any holes in front fan mounting panel not covered by fans so the air they are pushing not case can't leak back in front. Also block bottom vents so air front intakes are pushing nto case can't leak right back out through them. ;)

PH-F140MP 2-pack is £16.26 .. that is £8.13 per fan. If you get 2x 2-packs you could use 4th fan as a bottom intake flowing air up toward GPU.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

Arctic P14 £5.95-6.95 each, so almost as much money and not as good either.

Associate
OP
Okay, thanks for the help everyone.

What would your opinion be on the best fan layout for the Define 7 XL? Three 140mm fans in the front and one at the rear? Would one 140mm intake at the bottom help with GPU temps?

Soldato
Okay, thanks for the help everyone.

What would your opinion be on the best fan layout for the Define 7 XL? Three 140mm fans in the front and one at the rear? Would one 140mm intake at the bottom help with GPU temps?
If you do what I suggested and block all openings in front and bottom not covered by intake fans you do not need any exhaust fans. With this setup all air intake fans push into case has to flow through and out back vents with a little also going out top vents. To keep heated air coming off of GPU from moving up into airflow from upper front intake to CPU cooler you just block the front half of top vent. This way all intake air has to move back to CPU cooler, then on back and out with some moving up and out behind CPU cooler.

With case setup like as described above it functions same as push fan on front of single tower cooler or fan in middle of twin tower cooler. Adding pull fans on cooler or case increase noise level at same fan speed and flow a little more air giving slightly lower temps (ony a couple degrees as most). Case and coolers cool the same with only intakes at same noise levels as they do with push/pull fans. Only difference is that couple of degrees when fans are at full speed .. and if you are like most of us your case fans never run full speed anyway. So save money and only use intake fans. ;)

Back
Top Bottom