Best film of all time

Associate
KPeh said:
Lawrence of Arabia and Bladerunner. Honourable mention to The Killing Fields and Doctor Zhivago though.

Seeing Lawrence of Arabia (restored) on 70mm at a cinema a few weeks ago was quite quite extraordinary. The DVD quality is pathetic in comparison. I think those two films are head over heels above the rest for a combination of story, acting, atmosphere, cinematography and soundtrack. And they're not shallow films. Both attaining pretty much perfection in my book.

Where did you see the restored version. I'd like to see that myself.

Soldato
The Thing (1982 with Kurt Russell)
Fire from the Sky - my favorite film, mainly as I have only seen it twice. It's presented in a documentary style :)
Arlington Road - for the awesome ending

Caporegime
One question I've always wondered - why is The Godfather (part *) so often considered the greatest film - is it overwhelmingly brilliant, or is it just received conventional wisdom - you hear Greatest Film, you think The Godfather.

I tend not to have favourites, just ones that I have seen recently and enjoyed.

Except for The Princess Bride and The Scarlet Pimpernel (the BBC's Anthony Andrews version), which I seem to have watched half a million times each.

Soldato
Sparky191 said:
Where did you see the restored version. I'd like to see that myself.

It was at a one off (though I expect will be repeated every once in a while) at Picturehouse @ FACT in Liverpool. As far as I'm aware there aren't many cinemas which can show 70mm any longer, but a fair few of the Picturehouses do. If you get the chance - go and see it - it's quite breathtaking :).

Soldato
Kill Bill Vol.1 - Too much action!

Kill Bill Vol.2 - Too much plot!

The most unbalanced two-part movie I've ever seen in my life. They were two completely different films, and I think they could possibly have been blended.

Soldato
Hmmm, I hate these threads.....I can never think and always end up missing ones :p

Star Wars saga
LOTR trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner (DC)
Assault on Precinct 13 (original)
Hero
Open Your Eyes
Brokeback Mountain
LA Confidential
Big
War of the Worlds (both of them)

There....I just rattled off the first ones that came to mind. Truth be told, I probably have 30ish films I consider my favourites.

Soldato
For me I couldn't narrow it down to one film. Or I probably could...

Heat
Raging Bull
Goodfellas
The Godfather
Taxi Driver

I'd say out of those Heat (the Michael Mann film) is my favourite but the best is probably Raging Bull. If anybody knows anything about boxing, the work that De Niro put into that film is breathtaking. The camera work, the use of smoke and heat under the camera, the dialogue, the sheer intensity of Jake LaMotta's character and the musical score used throughout the film...breathtaking.

The problem with films, there are so many really good films out there but across several genres. So it becomes a bit subjective as to what people really notice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just watched Shawshank Redemption again, been a couple of years since I've seen it, but damn have to say one of, if not my favortire film of all time.

Why!! can they not make films of this calibre nowadays?

Soldato
Borris said:
One question I've always wondered - why is The Godfather (part *) so often considered the greatest film - is it overwhelmingly brilliant, or is it just received conventional wisdom - you hear Greatest Film, you think The Godfather.

It's a bit like listening to Pink Floyd, it assigns you a certain respectability among aficionados. I rate Goodfellas above The Godfather, it's the definitive gangster movie in my eyes.

As for the greatest film of all time, I could not say. There are still far too many flicks that I've not yet had the pleasure of viewing, and I said I wasn't going to blow any more money in on DVDs. You gits.

Back
Top Bottom