Best film of all time

Associate
VaderDSL said:
Just watched Shawshank Redemption again, been a couple of years since I've seen it, but damn have to say one of, if not my favortire film of all time.

Why!! can they not make films of this calibre nowadays?

They can, you just haven't seen them yet !!

Soldato
big_white_dog84 said:
I stand by my opening post that Full Metal Jacket is the best.

'Get down on your knees and choke yourself' :D

'Gim'sum'

'M I C K E Y M O U S E' etc
Yeh, you'll love it long time ;)

Nah, there are much better films than FMJ :p

Suspended
Curio said:
Absolutely. It drives me nuts :( Of course "best film" is wholly subjective and down to personal opinion....but clearly some people need hitting over the head with a crowbar. Hard.
Or maybe, just maybe, it's because popular is not the same thing as good.

Suspended
Borris said:
One question I've always wondered - why is The Godfather (part *) so often considered the greatest film - is it overwhelmingly brilliant, or is it just received conventional wisdom - you hear Greatest Film, you think The Godfather.
I think it's a mixture of both. Obviously it has good qualities (although personally I found it tedious) because a film could never get that popular without being good. However, it's come highly rated in so many 'greatest film' polls that if you now didn't include it then it would cast your judgement in a bad light, and no one would take you seriously. Hah.

This is coming from someone else who thinks that asking for 'the greatest film of all time' is an ill-posed question though, because how much you enjoy a film depends so much on your mood, the time you're watching it, the company you're in etc...

Man of Honour
hard one, got a feeling most of mine have been said by Gilly but here goes

gladiator
braveheart
american history x
shawshank
rocky (1-4)
Top Gun
Days of Thunder
Die Hard 1+2
Star Wars 4-6
Lotr
godfather (1+2)
Pulp fiction
Memento
LA Confidential
Highlander
Tears of the Sun (directors Cut)
The untouchables

thats a small list of films I found extremely enjoyable and can watch (in most cases over and over) the title Best Film is very subjective and I often find like all of these Best of threads / questions theres just never one answer.

Associate
mattbrown91 said:
Anyone meantioned Undersiege I and II

Die Hard is good :p

Haha Under Seige II has the most pathetic baddy of all time...'oh I didn't think of that!'

Having said that the first one was ace...Tommy Lee Jones is hilarious :D

Anyway here are my favourites...very hard to single one out...I don't own Shawshank but the first time I saw it just WOW :eek:

Die Hard
The Fifth Element
Leon
Ronin
Shaun Of The Dead
Gattaca
Blade Runner
Groundhog Day
American Beauty
Dune
Dr Strangelove
(The) War Of The Worlds
As Good As It Gets
This Is Spinal Tap - hello Cleveland! :D

Soldato
while i'm not saying they're the best films of all time, or my favourites (although they're definetely both in my top 5 / 10), Garden State and American Beauty are the only films that I can watch over and over ..!

Soldato
Can't say i have a favourite film, can't say i can agree with FMJ being there though, as even just taking the genre of war films IMO there are better, Cross of Iron is the best war film i have ever seen (imo) i would also put Stalingrad, a bridge too far and apocalypse now ahead of FMJ, oh and das boot as well.

Honourable mentions for films that i think are awesome,

Schindlers List
Shawshank
goodfellas
American History X
Hotel Rwanda
and a fair few others that have been mantioned a lot :)

Soldato
It has been there since the day I watched it - my favourite film of all time is still Blade Runner.
There have been a few challengers over the years and my personal "Top 10" has changed around a little bit and can depend on the kind of mood I'm in at the time.
However the top spot has been occupied by the same film for quite some years.

I am talking about in my opinion the definitive version of Blade Runner and that is the Director's Cut.
I'm not going to take anything away from the version that was placed infront of the viewing audience all those years ago.
However the horrible narration, the removal of key scenes (unicorn) and lovey dovey "Rachel Lives" ending in my opinion makes the Director's Cut the version all film lovers should see at least once in their lives.

Permabanned
Apart from the ones mentioned in this thread, repeatedly, because there very good, im guna go out on a wim in the spirit of being able to watch a film over and over again

The Fast and the Furiouse. I love this film, i have watched it 20 times and i have enjoyed it each time, its a shame the other 2 were so rubbish in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom