Best film of all time

Caporegime
When you decide a "best film", you really have to think hard on several levels, missing one of them means no cookie.

1 - Did it achieve what it set out to do.

For example, not many people would put Amelie at the top of their list for best movie. Since it isn't big budget, it is not an Action movie or Thriller (where the biggest fan base movie goers are). Not to mention it is totally in French ! But did it hit the spot? Hell yes, Amelie is pretty much perfect in terms of hitting everyone of its target when it comes to a feel good romantic comedy with a happy ending. I dare anyone who finish watching that not with a smile and a sense of the world is a nicer place after watching that.

2 - Does it hold your attention.

It doesn't have to be all action for a movie to hold my attention, if it is just gun fight through out i'd be bored after 3 minutes anyway. The movie has got to pace itself well, this is where a good film distinguish itself from a bad one. You need a tight script, good acting, good direction with good editing in order to hold the audience (at least me anyway)'s attention. The moment the movie slacks a bit, or it goes off in a tangen or where the acting seems unbelieveble i tends to wanders and look at my watch.

Some people have mention some films are too long so it doesn't deserve the title, absolute rubbish i say. Edit a film like the Godfather Pt 2 down an hour will be like missing half the story and you will butcher a masterpiece. Agreed that some films are too long (A.I springs to mind, last 20 mins could be cut off), but a good director knows what details and scenes his film needs for it to bring the story across to the audience. And if he has done it right, then the time should flies by.

For that i will name a few that are my favourites

Almost Famous (Untitled) - captured the feel of the 70's and the coming of age of an teenager perfectly.

Forest Gump - Touching, poignent, sweet movie of a man's journey

Lord of the Rings - Can't really seperate them, and movie making to a whole new level of which i doubt we will ever see again.

When Harry Met Sally - Sharp dialogue, witty, funny and warms your heart.

Shakespeare in Love - Very clever movie, if you know a bit about shakespeares' plays beforehand will make this even more enjoyable.

Well, others on my list that i think are good - Godfather, T2, Aliens, Alien, Shawshank, Die Hard....and many others. These are not my favourites simply because either i can only watch them once in a LONG time (ie Godfather) or that i'd forget about them not long after i exited the cinema, it was good while i was watching it but it doesn't give me something to think about afterwards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its hard to say what the best film of all time is due to everyones personal opinions. We all have favourite movies and some will agree with you or disagree.

We could make and OCUK poll on this.

We can divide them into categorys, for example:

(I have added my own favourites next to the category. I have also based my list on re-watchability and the fact that it holds my attention to the very end).

Action: Armageddon (Fast paced and purely great fun throughout. Makes me cry too)

Adventure: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Just so funny and excellent set pieces)

Comedy: Life of Brian (Enough said really. Cockadoodledoo)

Crime/Gangster: Godfather pt 2 (Everything is amazing in this film)

Drama: Shawshank Redemption (What an amazing ending)

Epics/Historical: Lord of the rings (Probably the most complete movie)

Horror: Dawn of the Dead (Remake. Running Zombies scare me)

Musicals: Not really got one.

Science Fiction: Contact (A subject that interests me)

War: Saving Private Ryan (To me, very realistic and holds true)

Westerns: Young Guns (Not seen this in ages but really was a great film)

Animated: Akira (Showing its age now but still an excellent story)

Associate
Heat.

DeNiro and Pacino at the peak of their careers in a film written and directed by one of the best crime directors alive today - Michael Mann. Excellent supporting cast and fantasticly 'cool' film.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Godfather, Shawshank, Pulp Fiction, Star Wars, LOTR, Lock Stock, Snatch, Memento, T2, Die Hard, Gladiator, Good Will Hunting, Platoon, Se7en, Goodfellas, Green Mile, Bladerunner, Braveheart, Indiana Jones, Alien, Jaws, Great Escape, Leon, Rocky, Usual Suspects.

Off the top of my head. I've mentioned some that are parts of trilogies or whatever, didn't bother naming the individual ones. Wanted to keep the list down.

I swear you cut and paste that everytime. Do you have the list saved?

We have had this thread over 20 times in the last few years :D

Soldato
Tommy B said:
We have had this thread over 20 times in the last few years :D

And I'm saying Alien again. In widescreen I still think the cinematography and direction are as close to flawless as you'll see.

The Usual Suspects is a close second because it stands up to repeat viewings even after you know the twist, and for being cobbled together on a shoestring and in next to no time.

Spinal Tap - for being the most laugh out loud funny

The Blues Brothers - Best soundtrack and car chase

Labyrinth - Best film for regressing into your childhood (and starting a crush on Jennifer Connelly that's now over a decade old. :o )

Soldato
A few films I've not seen mentioned yet:

Rashomon - way, way ahead of it's time [1950]
Der Untergang - Hitler's last days; utterly compelling and an astounding performance from Bruno Ganz playing the almost unplayable 'lead' role.
The World's Fastest Indian - Anthony Hopkins in a truly heart-warming tale based on a true story; and a film that plays with its audience, steering them toward hollywood cliche then yanking them off-course at the last delightful moment.
Unforgiven - The 'Dark Knight Returns' of westerns [comics fans will know what I mean, I guess!]
Adaptation - Nicholas Cage in 'bloody excellent' shock! More twists and turns than a twisty turny thing on a waltzer. Or are they? Aaah...
Capote - Not exactly an action flick, but Philip Seymour Hoffman's portrayal of the hateful, smug, self-worshipping mummy's boy Truman Capote with a backdrop of beautifully-shot Fifties Mid-America elevates this one above most others.

It's a pleasant surprise to see that generally, I'm in agreement with most of what's been suggested so far; nice to see 12 Angry Men, Cape Fear [the Robert Mitchum one, I hope!], Usual Suspects, American Beauty, Se7en, Life Of Brian and This Is Spinal Tap get mentions.

But one thing is clear - The Shawshank Redemption has more mentions than any other. Rightfully so, too, in my opinion.

Soldato
for me (in no order)

One flew over the cucko's nest
The Shining
Young Guns (for the coolness of it at the time)
Bill & Teds Excellent adventure
Meet Joe Black
Jacobs Ladder (forget no order, this is my fav)
Usual suspects
Donnie Darco
Donnie Brasco
The Mexican

And probably more :S

Caporegime
Shawshank Redemption.

Even after years of watching movies since (and I watch a scary amount of movies) I've still yet to see a film that affects me like that. Perfect acting, perfect direction and another perfect Stephen King story.

I can't pick a fault.

Associate
one flew over the cuckoos nest is the greatest film ever full stop amazing it as everything,and some of the greatest acting ever by all the cast.

other personel favs
once upon a time in america
the last temptation of christ
seven
life of brian
rings trilogy
apocolypse now

i also think full metal jacket as the best begining ever shame the movie goes to carp after that

oo yeh forgot american history x best film in last 10 years

Back
Top Bottom