• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best GFX card out?

Soldato
X1900XT-X is currently the fastest single card available. It is also cheaper than Nvidias nearest card, you would be a fool to buy anything else.

And look at my sig before I get fanboy comments :p

Last edited:
Soldato
tbh it's 50/50 on the 7800 512 or the 1900 ati offering, ok, some benchies more the nvidia one and some the ati. Main thing it come down to is iq, price, and drivers/software.

I've had a 6800GT for the last 18months and have been very happy with it, drivers were easy to install and the overclocking was a doddle. I received today an 1900XTX and to be honest i dont have a scooby do what to do with CCC. Took me 3 hours to install the thing and actually get it working rather that "windows is trying to locate file blah blah" I ONLY JUST INSTALLED THE DRIVERS ON A BRAND NEW INSTALL". However saying that, onced installed (even though i aint got a clue where to overclock/read temps/any easily nvidia related) Once i installed a few games i was very imprssed. Of course the fps was going to be far superior but the whole (and i hate to say it) IQ is steps above.

Now give me a little while to get used to ati's (god awful (for me for the moment)) interface, and i'll probably be thier biggest fan. But even for the moment i can see the differance just in IQ.

The 7800GTX is a stonking card but is it worth it for the extra money, thats all you have to ask yourself, if you have an sli mobo then i'de say yes, if your looking for a new mobo i'de still say go for the 7800 (Xfire mobos are still new and slow(ish). But if your looking for a single card solution i'de say you couldn't beat the x1900, cracking card.

Soldato
I thought the general consensus was that the X1900XTX was faster than the 7800GTX 512. Anyway the X1900XTX is definitely cheaper. Also if you want to go SLI at a later stage you will have to buy a 2nd hand 7800GTX as all production has ceased - so no more 7800GTX cards will be shipped.

Associate
OP
So general thought is that i should go for the Asus ATI Radeon EAX-X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) as a single GFX card? @ £499.32 Including VAT it's a fair bit cheaper than the xfx ge-force i posted earlier....but i have never used a Radeon b4.........are they easy to use and overclock? :confused: AND i have already ordered

Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express

Last edited:
Soldato
Isn't the X1900 going to get faster as time goes by as new drivers are released, also will it not be better in shader intensive games due to all those shadery type widgets (technical term) plastered all over it?

Soldato
im surprised at the prices of the new cards, theyve dropped a lot in the last few days.

Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512mb GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI ViVO £364.18

Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX 512M GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI ViVO £421.82
Connect3d ATI Radeon X1900XTX 512Mb DVI + DVI + VIVO PCI-E £417.12

Soldato
ReV0h_David said:
So general thought is that i should go for the Asus ATI Radeon EAX-X1900 XT-X 512MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) as a single GFX card? @ £499.32 Including VAT it's a fair bit cheaper than the xfx ge-force i posted earlier....but i have never used a Radeon b4.........are they easy to use and overclock? :confused: AND i have already ordered

Asus A8N32-SLi Deluxe nForce4 SLi X16 (Socket 939) PCI-Express

Quite easy to overclock & so far do overclock quite well, from what i have seen.
Will work fine with that mobo, though if you really wanted to you could change the mobo to the Asus or MSI ULI based crossfire boards.

Emlyn_Dewar said:
Isn't the X1900 going to get faster as time goes by as new drivers are released, also will it not be better in shader intensive games due to all those shadery type widgets (technical term) plastered all over it?

Thats correct from what i hear too.

Associate
OP
ive already ordered the

XFX GeForce 7800GTX Extreme XXX Edition 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

got an AMD X2 fx-60, thermaltake tai-chi (with water cooling) and Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 TwinX (2x1GB) too :)...that should do me for a few years :p

kbc

kbc

Associate
ReV0h_David said:
ive already ordered the

XFX GeForce 7800GTX Extreme XXX Edition 512MB GDDR3 VIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express)

got an AMD X2 fx-60, thermaltake tai-chi (with water cooling) and Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400 TwinX (2x1GB) too :)...that should do me for a few years :p

Looks fine to me... =/ though it might have been worth posting in the General Hardware forum to assist with speccing you a more compatible system. DDR2 RAM? What for? You just choosing the items at the top of the list? The components listed is pretty good but the way it's been put together is something worth re-thinking.

Last edited:
Soldato
ReV0h_David said:
ive already ordered the

Not really it won't. Not with DX10 coming soon enough.

Soldato
Come on, it's getting tiring reading all the "DX10 is coming out at some point in time, don't buy anything..." Change the record.
If we all thought like this we'd never buy anything.

Associate
Emlyn_Dewar said:
Come on, it's getting tiring reading all the "DX10 is coming out at some point in time, don't buy anything..." Change the record.

couldnt have put it better myself. I know DX10 is coming soon and M2 etc etc however this doesnt stop me building my new x1900xt and opteron system!! hoping on the opty bandwagon while i still can.

Associate
Emlyn_Dewar said:

couldnt have put it better myself. I know DX10 is coming soon and M2 etc etc however this doesnt stop me building my new x1900xt and opteron system!! hopping on the opty bandwagon while i still can.

Soldato
paddy001 said:
mate you do realise what your starting here dont you. your thread will end up being a fanboy war nvidia vs ati. youll be able to tell useless info cuz it normally starts with ....is the best because...

r u sure that is not what he wants??

Back
Top Bottom