Best headphones for around £150ish

Associate
I’m just looking at treating myself to a new pair of headphones to game with online with friends.
I had some wireless steel series ones that was brilliant but cost around £300 and sadly after many years the mic is broke.
I can’t afford to replace them with similar ones as I don’t have the cash. Realistically I want to spend no more than £150 but I will most likely buy wired as I actually have a proper desk to sit and game at now rather than on the tv so that should help.

any recommendations would be appreciated!! Been a while since I’ve had to buy a set and now days there seems to be an abundance to choose from.

Soldato
Get a decent set of headphones and an external mic, which is what I use.

For £150 I’d get some dt990 pro’s, usually around £115. Well worth that and far better than any wireless headset sound quality wise.

Senheiser do some decent gaming headsets. But they are quite expensive. And still not quite as good as a decent studio grade headset sound wise (from experience).

Associate
OP
Get a decent set of headphones and an external mic, which is what I use.

For £150 I’d get some dt990 pro’s, usually around £115. Well worth that and far better than any wireless headset sound quality wise.

Senheiser do some decent gaming headsets. But they are quite expensive. And still not quite as good as a decent studio grade headset sound wise (from experience).

problem I have with external mic is the kids shouting in the background haha. Headphone mice don’t tend to pick as much noise up I’ve found in the past.
I will have a look at them cheers. studio grade headphones would set me back too much unfortunately. If I was mainly using headphones I wouldn’t mind but I use the speakers more often than not.

Soldato
Not a direct recommendation - but I would suggest having a look at the Sennheiser outlet for potential bargains. I've bought a GSX1000 and a set of headphones from their in the past - both for way below RRP, and both completely indistinguishable from A grade.

Soldato
problem I have with external mic is the kids shouting in the background haha. Headphone mice don’t tend to pick as much noise up I’ve found in the past.
I will have a look at them cheers. studio grade headphones would set me back too much unfortunately. If I was mainly using headphones I wouldn’t mind but I use the speakers more often than not.

That’s a shame.

Anything wired will most likely be absolutely fine then. I’ve had wireless sets before and even the expensive ones I’ve found them quite lacklustre in terms of audio quality.

A pair of Hyper X cloud’s (various models), seem like a good buy if you plan to stick with wired ones. They are well reviewed especially for the price.

Associate
OP
That’s a shame.

Anything wired will most likely be absolutely fine then. I’ve had wireless sets before and even the expensive ones I’ve found them quite lacklustre in terms of audio quality.

A pair of Hyper X cloud’s (various models), seem like a good buy if you plan to stick with wired ones. They are well reviewed especially for the price.

to be honest i had a look at the headphones you suggested and they sound pretty good spec and review wise, ii have seen you can get a little attachable mic that can be attached to the side so they transform almost into regular gaming headphones, the mic will sit slightly off the face so the headphones will probably be ok considering they are open back ones.

the only problem i face now is what dac, currently i have some logitec z906 surround speakers and the dac on that has a headphone port but ive looked everywhere and i cant seem to find what power they can output as the dt990 needs 250ohm of power. you got any ideas? i can buy an external dac in a while when i have some more funds or if i can get a deal on both but if i cant i need to be able to power them. my pc is a desk build and getting to the ports on the io is a pain so id rather not plug direct into mobo if it can be helped.

Associate
OP
Not a direct recommendation - but I would suggest having a look at the Sennheiser outlet for potential bargains. I've bought a GSX1000 and a set of headphones from their in the past - both for way below RRP, and both completely indistinguishable from A grade.
i did not know about this but damn its pretty good isnt it!!

Soldato
to be honest i had a look at the headphones you suggested and they sound pretty good spec and review wise, ii have seen you can get a little attachable mic that can be attached to the side so they transform almost into regular gaming headphones, the mic will sit slightly off the face so the headphones will probably be ok considering they are open back ones.

the only problem i face now is what dac, currently i have some logitec z906 surround speakers and the dac on that has a headphone port but ive looked everywhere and i cant seem to find what power they can output as the dt990 needs 250ohm of power. you got any ideas? i can buy an external dac in a while when i have some more funds or if i can get a deal on both but if i cant i need to be able to power them. my pc is a desk build and getting to the ports on the io is a pain so id rather not plug direct into mobo if it can be helped.

That sounds the better option :). Once you go to a decent set you wont be able to go back :p, ridiculously comfortable, and the sound ofc. £100 on amazon btw for the dt 990 pro's!

In terms of DAC im not so sure. As i use a soundcard (ESSENCE STX 2).

Did have a fiiO DAC a while back that was very good for the price. However there are likely better if you plan to spend more.

Back
Top Bottom