1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best IDE or Editor for python?

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by anotherF, 25 Jun 2010.

1. anotherF

Gangster

I am going to have a go at learning some python, what is the best editor or IDE to use in Ubuntu?

Thanks

2. tntcoder

Mobster

I've always used Spyder, it has proved to be pretty decent. Has all the features I need in an IDE anyway :)

I think Eclipse has Python plugins, but it's more of an addon so not sure how great that is. There is NetBeans as well, again no idea how good that is.

If you just want a plain editor, medit is great for mucking about and has syntax highlighting and a built in terminal.

3. Inquisitor

Capodecina

Vim all the way :cool:

4. mcompute

PermaBanned

You can use the built in gedit, it has python syntaxing. The only downside is the rows aren't numbered.

5. |Thomas|

Hitman

Edit > preferences > display line numbers :)

Personally I use gedit with additional plugins for block commenting and other stuff. I use python mainly for physics though so generally I'm doing small scale projects, not full blown programming.

If you're new to programming I'd recommend sticking with text editors, perhaps one with the odd extra feature like syntax highlighting (found in editors like gedit/kate/etc). If you get into programming and need some higher level features then I'd take a look at an IDE :).

6. malef!c

Wise Guy

I use Geany on Ubuntu. It has a few different syntax templates including python.

7. SMN

Wise Guy

+1 here for gedit.

8. MarkW7

PermaBanned

I use gedit with python, just enable the line numbers and you're good to go.

9. HumbleCoder

Gangster

I use VIM but any decent text editor will do, clever IDEs like VS, intelliJ, Eclipse etc don't exist (or not needed depending on who you talk to) because they are very difficult to do due to Pythons dynamic nature.

10. lovedaddy

Gangster

Eric?

11. gam3r

Mobster

Vim.

12. Inquisitor

Capodecina

Seriously, though, Vim really does wonders for your productivity once you get the hang of it (which admittedly can take a bit of time). Being able to carry out just about any common task with just a few keystrokes and never having to take your hands off the keyboard is very useful.

13. tntcoder

Mobster

Emacs > Vim :p

14. Inquisitor

Capodecina

One more for the ignore list!

[​IMG]