Best Live Acts that you've seen (not necessarily your favourites)

Soldato
Eric Clapton with Jules Hollands' blue's band.

The music wasn't my cup of tea. At all. I've listened to some Cream and thats it. But my god it sounded good, and they got the crowd going.

Probably Nelly Furtado. My god she could sing.

Soldato
Sigur Ros [Manchester Apollo]- Whilst it not being a perfect gig due to the audience it was certainly the loudest and most emotional I have ever been to, the power of the music was increadible both in sound and in sheer loud; I can't remember a time where I have felt the knee cartlidge shake from a bass guitar. Popplagið was just :eek: .

Oasis [City Of Manchester Stadium]- Well, if you want a massive gig with about 50k people this is probably the quickest way to go about it. An increadibly painful experience with hundreds of Man City skinhead fans covered in urine and beer and sweet but despite Oasis very limited actual musical talent, live they are astounding.

The Zutons [Nottingham Rock City]- I was happily suprised with these scouse chaps, The Futureheads were covering who were simply awful the lazy arses couldn't even be bothered to do a soundcheck and they were washed out with bass and they were booed off. The Zutons were somthing else, despite the indie cheesyness and a feeling that I had stepped into a 1970s New Orleans crackwagon they are brilliant live they are happy, everyone gets a groove on and overall a great night out.

Last edited:
Associate
JonnyT said:
The Arcade Fire Absolutely blew me & my mate away at Reading last year. My friend - who's one of those who has been to more gigs than had hot dinners... - was moved to say it was the best live performance he'd ever seen.

The Broken Family Band Seen these guys more than 8 times at small festivals & gigs in my native Cambridge & can safely say they're awesome. The lead singer always interacts with the crowd with banter, the guitarist is amazing & the whole band always seems to be having such a great time which really comes across in their music :)

I saw the first Arcade Fire date outside of north america at the lovely and tiny kings college, it was without a doubt one of the best things I've ever seen (and I've been to more gigs than hot dinners too!). Shame I'll never be able to see them somewhere so small again...

and the Broken Family Band always put on a good show too, I've seen them something silly like 5 times.. the banter is always brilliant!

other notable ones are sufjan stevens back in 2003 touring michigan/seven swans, titchy venue, and he was spellbinding... as soon as he opened his mouth he shut the whole room up and kept everyones attention right till the end.

radiohead have been great everytime I've seen them, glastonbury, the first night at earls court and the second at hammersmith probably being the best ones.

calexico at the rfh in 2003 was amazing as well.. supported by amparanoia who were great.

the delgados (as I'm listening to peel sessions now) were ace when i caught them at glastonbury.

buck65 is a funny man - what a great live act!

i've seen broken social scene 3 times now but the when they played cargo recently it was amazing.. 2 1/2 hours and blew away the other times I've seen them.

and finally possibly the best gig I've seen was 13 & god in the tiny purple turtle, the engery of doseone has to be seen, the man is god!

Associate
Dragonforce - 4-way guitar, guitar, key-tar, bass instrument sharing circle... need I say more?
Pearl Jam
Rage Against the Machine - So much energy.
NIN
Beastie Boys
Eric Clapton

Not necessarily the best, just the ones that came to mind.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
chino said:
Rage Against the Machine - So much energy.

git. i'd shave my head to see them :(

A Perfect Circle - my favourite band of all time, and they certainly didnt disappoint. for a mid-sized gig, it was surprisingly intimate - James Iha and Maynard telling jokes and making fun of Geordie. plus they played Orestes.

(hed)p.e - this was mainstage, Ozzfest 2000 but it was my favourite act of the day, and one of my favourite live music memories. i was so into this band at the time, and they put on such a great show. i think they were making fun of the stage size, as the DJ was skateboarding around when he had nothing to do!! :D

Pure Reason Revolution - Supporting Oceansize (who were also awesome, but not as good imo) a couple of months ago; as they were support, i wasn't expecting much, but the sound quality at Birmingham Academy 2 is stunning, and they really made the most of it. they've got a great musical talent, it's just a shame that prog will always be hated :p

Made out of Babies - wasn't sure what to expect, but i certainly wasn't expecting that. their studio stuff could do with a more "live" sound, though...their sound doesnt really work when it's too "produced"

Soldato
Massive Attack - Seen these guys a few time and they put on an amazing show.

Faithless - Just great live, the energy which comes off them and the reproduction of the tracks whilst injecting the live feel is electric

Feeder - Great band who are great live and go out of the way to please and interact with the audience

Couting Crows - Adam Duritz is an amazing talent and again a band who like to talk to and work with an audience, at the last gig he told stories in between sets, told us a recipie for Dr Pepper BBQ Chicken and the parties hes had in the States, also brought on Kelly from the Stereophonics who had been the support act to sing Mr Jones with the band and stay through the whole of the encore.

MB

Associate
Sic said:
git. i'd shave my head to see them :(

A Perfect Circle - my favourite band of all time, and they certainly didnt disappoint. for a mid-sized gig, it was surprisingly intimate - James Iha and Maynard telling jokes and making fun of Geordie. plus they played Orestes.

At the Astoria? I went to that one and was definitely one of the best shows I've been to. Jeordie playing the guitar at the end was brilliant... was good to see a bit of banter between them. I have to agree with you... The playing of Orestes was the highlight.

Mark Lanegan at the astoria was also brilliant, such a showman.

Dragonforce will always be an excellent live act because they don't take themselves seriously and know exactly what their audience want.

Another of my favourites was the Deftones at the Forum in London, supported by Lostprophets before they'd ruined themselves. It was a last minute gig arranged because Fred Durst had hurt his back. Chino spent the whole set taking the **** out of Fred.

Dredg at the mean fiddler last year was also exellent. Very engaging and played a much longer set than usual. The lead singer gave away his slide guitar to some guy in the audience then realised he had to use it in the next song. Also, the drummer plays keyboard at the same time as drumming. He's awesome.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
sinister_stu said:
At the Astoria? I went to that one and was definitely one of the best shows I've been to. Jeordie playing the guitar at the end was brilliant... was good to see a bit of banter between them. I have to agree with you... The playing of Orestes was the highlight.

na, it was Birmingham Academy 2. was quite eerie, because they don't allow cameras, moshing or smoking, so you just got a massive feeling of mutual appreciation. i'd like to think that everyone was sharing the same feelings of awe as i was...we were just stood there gawping at them!!

Soldato
we are scientists - incredibly funny banter, really fun music, just awesome live.

bloc party - flawless gig, the music was played so well, really good set list, good crowd (small fans only gig), good venue, just allllll good

Soldato
Iron Maiden - Earls Court 2004 - Just fantastic. The place was euphoric.

Audioslave - Brixton - 2005 - They may not quite be RATM, but they can certainly put on a live show. I left more bruised than EVER.

Bryan Adams - Wembly Arena 2005 - Not quite the same genre as the top two, but still a fantastic gig with an amazing individual.

Garbage - Brixton - 2005 "LISTEN UP MOTHER *******, I'M ONLY HAPPY WHEN IT RAINS". Pure class.

And then there's the Offspring, RHCP, Alice Cooper, Lacuna Coil, Kasabian and Mr Scruff who were all awesome.

Soldato
Hmmm... I cant pick favourites so I will just say why i liked some of the better gigs I have been to...

Electric Six - Becasue no-one has made me laugh quite like these guys... there is just too much stylised satire in their routine... "And just remember, if it wasn't for us Americans, you lot would all be speaking English!"

APC - no explanation needed.

Mars Volta - The masters of randomness, absolutely energetic and weird on stage... prepare to sit through 10-15 minutes of ambient noise between songs, but when the crowd realise that the band are going into the next song it is like a spark...

Queen in Hyde Park - I know, it wasn't Freddie and for even mentioning this I expect I will get flamed but please bear in mind that I'm not old enough to have seen Queen with Freddie and this was the closest I could get to that...

Sic

Sic

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Mars Volta - The masters of randomness, absolutely energetic and weird on stage... prepare to sit through 10-15 minutes of ambient noise between songs, but when the crowd realise that the band are going into the next song it is like a spark...

ooh, i forgot about the mars volta. was that on the FTM tour? highlight when i saw them was the piano version of Televators, and the lack of pretentious widdling and ambient boredom between songs.

i think in their recent shows, that "spark" you refer to is the crowd being relieved that something with a bit of structure that they actually came to see is going to happen. that's what it was for me anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
richard smith said:
Bad Religion - fantastic.

Anthrax at the Colchester Arts Centre - a small venue, fantastic atmosphere!

Suicidal Tendencies as above.

Those three are the best but Guns 'n'roses at Wembly was pretty special too.

:cool:
Suicidal Tendencies & Bad Religion - two of my favourite bands! :) :cool:

RUSH - Have seen them loads of times going back to the early eighties, but Wembley on the 30th anniversary tour was special - they were playing with real joy & energy again.

Foo Fighters - Glasgow Park a couple of years back, great set.

Suicidal Tendencies - Newport Centre, early nineties (I think).

Dave Lee Roth - NEC, on the 'Eat 'Em and Smile' tour, the guys energy just blew me away.

Associate
Deftones - Last night at carling academy, i took along a mike myers halloween mask to the gig and a kfc bucket.... in respect for the guitar player buckethead

anywayz i end up throwing the kfc bucket up at chino and he touched it with his hand, then later i threw the mask up and he played the full of bored wearing the mask

what a night i even missed the train home coz iwas trying to get the mask back from the security

download 04- what a gig first time seeing slayer , metallica without lars, and hundreds more wikid bands

leeds 03- i only went for the friday was my first time seeing metallica so that was pretty amazing system primal scream and sum 41 were actual;ly amazingly good live as well at this fest

the fooo fighters were playing gig on the green the sunday after the ,metallica gig with the chilli peppers electric 6 queens of the stone age and pj harvey

t in the p 02 - my first gig , seen jimmy eat world, green day chemical brothers, foo fighters , the hives

Soldato
JohnRoss said:
the fooo fighters were playing gig on the green the sunday after the ,metallica gig with the chilli peppers electric 6 queens of the stone age and pj harvey
That was it. I missed Electric 6 :(, but caught the end of PJ Harvey (unfortunately!).

Queens were pretty good & of course, so were the Chilli's - but the Foo's set stood out for me.

Associate
deSade said:
That was it. I missed Electric 6 :(, but caught the end of PJ Harvey (unfortunately!).

Queens were pretty good & of course, so were the Chilli's - but the Foo's set stood out for me.

Yeah im a huge fan of them, that was my 3rd time seeing them and 1st time seeing the chillis so id say the chillis stood out more , plus some hot girl came onto me during suck my kiss aiiii :D

Back
Top Bottom