Best motherboard for future proofing a new PC

Associate
Hi guys! I'm looking to get a new computer but last time I built one it was on the cusp of a new advancement in the design of motherboards and connectors, which meant that that computer quickly became non-upgradeable. Since then I've just had cheap laptops but I now want a PC for gaming and although it isn't going to be used for supercharged high-end gaming I'd still rather spend more on a motherboard that will last a decent length of time than plum for the cheapest thing I can find. Are there any such step changes expected for motherboards or connection types in the near future? And, either way, what's the best motherboard to pick as a base for a new PC to ensure that it won't become obsolete soon?

Soldato
AMD all day long. Intel always stuff their customers by constantly changing socket types rendering your old motherboard useless. Get a good AM4 socket motherboard and it will remain relevant and upgrade-able for a lot longer than Intel's efforts

Associate
Unfortunately you’ve timed it pretty poor :(

AMD’s AM4 socket is coming up to it’s expected final release (Ryzen 4000 next year) and Intels 1151 socket is expected to be replaced with the 1200 on their next CPU release.

Soldato
Hi guys! I'm looking to get a new computer but last time I built one it was on the cusp of a new advancement in the design of motherboards and connectors, which meant that that computer quickly became non-upgradeable. Since then I've just had cheap laptops but I now want a PC for gaming and although it isn't going to be used for supercharged high-end gaming I'd still rather spend more on a motherboard that will last a decent length of time than plum for the cheapest thing I can find. Are there any such step changes expected for motherboards or connection types in the near future? And, either way, what's the best motherboard to pick as a base for a new PC to ensure that it won't become obsolete soon?

Motherboards are one of the cheapest parts of today's systems and asking for "future proofing" on the cheapest part I assume you are on tight budget.

So my question to you is do you believe this board costing £106 today (and is a great budget board)
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-socket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-33t-ms.html

won't be enough to use up to 16 core CPU this year (3950X costing ~£750) and up to 16 core CPU next year (4000 series) that might need something more powerful in 2021?

If the answer is Yes, why not sell this board in 2021 for ~£80 and buy another £100-110 board then. You won't lose much and since you can afford 2 x £750 CPUs shouldn't be that big hit.
If the answer is No, why we talk about future proofing when you won't get 16 core CPUs, or even 12 core CPUs which always going to be there to upgrade?

I guess up to now you were used on Intel releasing faster quad core cpus every year, with new motherboards and no option to upgrade.
On Intel that might be true as other said above. Next year their new CPU is on new socket and if it doesn't support DDR5, 2021 would be replaced again.

AMD on the other hand different matter as described above.

So tell us specifically what you have in mind to give better advice :)

Associate
OP
Hmm I think I might be asking the wrong questions.. I wasn't focusing on the motherboard because I thought it was an expensive part but because I thought it was the lynchpin that defined how upgradeable the whole PC would be. My memory of the drama I had last time was that the motherboard and connectors technology became obsolete shortly after so all the attached drives, memory, processor etc became obsolete too because they couldn't connect to any new motherboard technology either, making it just as infuriating as buying laptops that need junking every X number of years.
I suppose my real question is just that I need advice on how to get a cheapish computer now because my budget is tight that will continue to be upgradeable over time for when my budget becomes more kind :)

Associate
OP
I'll probably just be playing fairly average MMO games like WoW on a fairly average screen; I'm not there at the moment to check but I think it's just 1920x1080

Soldato
AMD AM4 and Intel LGA 1151 of dead end Sockets. DDR5 2020/21 sees to that. AMD confirmed it themselves .

Current AM4 has or will have 3 gens of CPU, Zen ( zen and zen+) Zen 2 and Zen 3 in 2020. LGA 1151 has had Intel 8th and 9th gen. Upcoming 10th is new socket, which will house 10 core 14nm and 10nm later on.

Zen to Zen2 saw big change in design as well as dropping from 14nm to 7nm. Question is with Zen3 going 7nm EUV . Clock speeds and Lower TDP should be a given , its if they are able to increase CCX count to push higher core count is the question, or will it just follow Zen + lead... time will tell .

intel 8th and 9th along with Zen , zen 2 and zen 3 will last a long time, intel 2nd gen i7 still does well now after 8 years. Just bare in mind intels 5nm and AMD 5nm in say 2 years time will easily beat current ones, thats technology in montion, but what ever you do get will last a good amount of time :)

Associate
OP
So if I find a motherboard with an AM4 socket, is it going to be able to take any Zen, Zen+ or Zen2 processor? And then for Zen3 we just need to wait and see?

Soldato
So if I find a motherboard with an AM4 socket, is it going to be able to take any Zen, Zen+ or Zen2 processor? And then for Zen3 we just need to wait and see?

Zen 3 will be compatible with AM4 boards. What's your overall budget? From quick estimation, a good budget motherboard (MSI B450 Tomahawk Max) is £100 and you need another £130 for DDR4 3600C16 ram.
So after that you pick CPU from the 3000 series.

Soldato
To be honest, a good cpu will last for ages and ages, I built a pc a few weeks ago with an old i7 2600 and a gtx 970 and it ran everything perfectly at 1080p, whilst you can get better cpus, the difference it will likely make in gaming is usually minimal, especially if you increase your resolution.

Whilst if you compared that with a 2010/11 gpu like a gtx 580 which was the flagship I think at the time that will struggle with the latest titles and you'll struggle more and have to reduce settings.

Slightly different from a workload perspective if you need loads of cores for editing etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Im still running old Haswell 1150 sustems, 4770k on two of the household pc's another is an i3.

All 1080p gaming. Graphics cards have been the biggest pain, needing upgrading the quickest and two failing.

Im holding off till next year, thinking of an AND 570 motherboard.Maybe ITX, micro atx seems dead. ATX just so much wasted motherboard. But want to move to 1440p.

Budget is what you need to build on 1st.

With AMD 570 you are a little more future proof, can get a cheaper CPU but still upgrade later.

Back
Top Bottom