Best Motherboard "LGA 1366" for overclocking

Associate
Ahoi dear Overclockers,
I be needing of assistance here

This is the benching results of my PC for now:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/25188876

As you can see I have a Supermicro X8DTL motherboard which supports dual LGA 1366
I have 2 Intel Xeon X5670 installed with 2.90 Ghz base frequency and 3.33 Ghz Turbo
I know it can give more but my motherboard can't overclock!
It also lacks USB 3, so the SSD and HDDs installed can't really give what they can
Even the GPU (Evga super overclocked 6GB GTX 1060) doesn't work so fine like it suppose to.

I have done some research and I have found out that I really don't need 2 CPUs for gaming, so I considered buying an overclockable motherboard which supports USB 3

The questions are

1. Would I need a better power supply?
I have a 500 W for now

2. I also edit and convert Videos as a beginner Filmmaker, will losing a CPU play a role in this case? will that for example slow down my workflow?

3. is it possible to choose to not overclock RAM or GPU?

Much Gratitude, Appreciate all help
Jako

Soldato
I used to have pretty similar setup with with a pair of X5660's and 144GB of RAM with a GTX 970 (also with a Supermicro X8 series board)

It was cheap - but it was not that powerful compared to modern systems (and moving to new stuff gives you side benifits like NVME, SATA3, USB 3.X, PCIE3/4 ect)

Rather than spend money on this old system, I would recomend something like a 8 core Ryzen 2700 (£125) any B450 or X470 Motherboard (£70+) and some DDR4 RAM (cheap at the mo)

What RAM do you have in the current system? It will be DDR3 and I assume its populated with RDIMMs? Most consumer / overclocking focussed motherboards will only take UDIMMs

Have you seen the EVGA Classified SR-2 motherboard? They are awesome if you can find one (still old tech though!): https://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

Soldato
I'd recommend the asus P6X58D-E. Also when heavily overclocked those old xeon CPUs can be quite power hungry.

Rather than spend money on this old system, I would recomend something like a 8 core Ryzen 2700 (£125) any B450 or X470 Motherboard (£70+) and some DDR4 RAM (cheap at the mo)
This would be your best bet as those old 1366 mbs can still be quite expensive as it's just not worth spending a lot on 10 year old parts.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £243.47 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Either a ryzen 7 2600 or a ryzen 5 1600AF variant cheap mb cheap ram. You could likely pick up stuff even cheaper if you look for second hand/used.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's 11½ year old Nehalem architecture CPU.
By today's standards those cores aren't strong and nothing will make them below low end for gaming.
Even with two CPUs combined performance can well lose to Ryzen 3700X.
New motherboard would make sense only for pocket money.

Back
Top Bottom