Best NAS for mixed Mac and PC use

Soldato
I’m in the process of upgrading my 2014 5k iMac to one of the newer models, and the newer one will have a smaller SSD. That’s finally prompted me to set up external storage, and kill two birds with one stone by setting up a simple home network that my family can use too.

I’m looking for a NAS that will allow common access to files by both operating systems. Definitely need two drives to run RAID1, and also the ability to back up online (currently using OneDrive). Mobile access would be useful, to upload content directly when travelling. Any recommendations?

Caporegime
Any Synology Nas? I have a DS414 which is a few years old now but uses the same software as the new ones. I have my MacBook set to backup using time machine and have it connected to two windows machines (backing up them as well).

It has a load of apps including remote connection etc and I believe it’s quite happy backing up to OneDrive.

Choose whichever size you want, but I’d recommend a 4 bay so you can use their Hybrid Raid system. Similar to RAID 1 but the mirroring takes up less space so you have more to use. Also has link aggradation (assuming route support) which allows for faster data access from multiple machines.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply. I've got an old DS211j, and I'm not that impressed by the wireless performance which seems pretty slow (only one room away, plasterboard walls). Would a more up to date version be likely to offer better performance?

Soldato
I use Unraid on an older N40L HP Microserver. It's simple to setup and use, offers AFP, NFS and SMB, Docker and VM support. You can install multiple plugins including Dropbox and Rclone for cloud backups.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply. I've got an old DS211j, and I'm not that impressed by the wireless performance which seems pretty slow (only one room away, plasterboard walls). Would a more up to date version be likely to offer better performance?
Newer models should definitely be better but ideally cable would be best.

Soldato
I use a Synology across both Windows + Mac platforms and it works fine. An added benefit is that I'm using the Synology as a Time Machine drive, so my MBP automatically backs up when on mains power.

Caporegime
Tbh I’ve never used wireless options built into a NAS. Wireless access is through our router.

If you’re moving large amounts of data use a cable, because WiFi isn’t really designed for that.

Back
Top Bottom