• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best RTX 3090 to buy?

Associate
Hi guys,

Hope you’re all doing alright! I see on ** No Competitors ** that they have already starting to list some upcoming 3090’s... but what’s the absolute best version to snap up? Probably a dumb statement but they look completely different to what the nvidia ceo is shown holding... are they just promo models for show?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
The board held up by nvidia is the founders edition which is an Nvidia made one. The others you see are the ones sold by the various manufacturers like MSI, Zotac, ASU’s etc and have different cooling fans and cosmetics. The more expensive ones have better cooling or are overclocked. I don’t see that much difference between them in my opinion but some have better warranties like Zotac which is 5 years rather than 3 years.

Soldato
It depends what you mean by best. I intend to keep mine for 2 years minimum, potentially 4 if the 4000 series is another Turing style **** take. For that reason, it's all about the warranty so has to be EVGA or Zotac.

I wouldn't bother too much about performance difference between the variants, it'll be single digit negligible. What concerns me most is the heat these things will produce and how the coolers cope. I'm not convinced that Nvidia's FE cooler will be better than a 3 fan AIB setup, and might actually be worse as it looks like it'll dump heat into the CPU heatsink intake.

I'll pre-order, but keep an eye on reviews in case I need to cancel.

Last edited:
Associate
It depends what you mean by best. I intend to keep mine for 2 years minimum, potentially 4 if the 4000 series is another Turing style **** take. For that reason, it's all about the warranty so has to be EVGA or Zotac.

I wouldn't bother too much about performance difference between the variants, it'll be single digit negligible. What concerns me most is the heat these things will produce and how the coolers cope. I'm not convinced that Nvidia's FE cooler will be better than a 3 fan AIB setup, and might actually be worse as it looks like it'll dump heat into the CPU heatsink intake.

The 3090 seems pretty future proof even more so than the 1080Ti from a gaming stand point, it's vastly more powerful than the Xbox X and PS5 and developers normally use the consoles as a marker to determine how demanding their games are and we are only on the cusp of a new generation of consoles which aren't even released.

Also if anyone has learnt anything from Turing vs Ampere it should be "never adopt early" I for see a Ampere super/Ti refesh late next year, the next gen of GPU's late 2022 or 2023 and even then if it's some "new tech" like RTX I would skip them again until the 2nd gen like Ampere.

Associate
I'll wait 3-4 months for the inevitable £999 3080Ti, which will be quicker than the 3090...

Rumours are the 3090 is only 20% faster than the 3080, which at twice the price, would be laughable if true.

Associate
OP

Just seen this completely agree

Soldato
EVGA Kingpin 3090, if they do one it will be 6 months away and very expensive.

They will, and agreed - it will be by far away the best. Gonna have a 360 rad this time! :eek:

models30_3090_KINGPIN.png

https://www.evga.com/articles/01434/evga-geforce-rtx-30-series/

Associate
I'll wait 3-4 months for the inevitable £999 3080Ti, which will be quicker than the 3090...

Rumours are the 3090 is only 20% faster than the 3080, which at twice the price, would be laughable if true.
I think that's never going to happen I imagine the current 3090 when releasde will more than likely be around the 1200-1400 GBP mark

Back
Top Bottom