Best SSD for PS4 at the moment?

Soldato
With Bloodborne out and the fact SSD's can take away some of the pain of loading, what is the best SSD for the PS4 at the moment? Is there a stand out drive in particular?

Space wise I'm thinking 500GB with no limit on budget.

Soldato
500gb gets filled quickly especially if you have plus and I keep having to delete stuff so i personally would go for 1tb sshd nice upgrade in speed and capacity. If you are stuck on ssd and don't play a lot of games then I would think samsung evo or crucial would be the best picks.

Soldato
Don't bother, the PS4 software isn't designed for SSDs so you'll end up with massive performance degradation over time. An SSHD (hybrid drive) is the best option really.

Soldato
Yep, those will work fine as the drive will manage the SSD caching itself.

Which has just reminded me, this weekend is a good opportunity for me to finally move my SSHD from my PS3 to the PS4, now that the PS4 has backup functionality. :)

Soldato
Its not overkill if you look at how much PC users spend on eeeking out performance from their machines. ;)

It is not recommended though as the longevity and performance degradation over time due to a lack of TRIM support from the PS4 operating system will render the gain sort lived.

Soldato
And this isn't gamer.net forums - its overclockers forums where peeps come to eek every last bit of performance out of their systems. ;)

If the PS4 supported TRIM I would be amongst the first to whack in an SSD. SSHD will have to do - for now :p

Soldato
The joke is on those coming to a modding forum expecting standard stuff.

Anyways OP - If your wanting the second best performance to an SSD (and probably a more sensible one) see if you can get your hands on one of the older Momentus XT SSHD's (I have the 750Gb model) They are 7200rpm as opposed to the 5400rpm models available these days so ever so slightly faster.

Soldato
Don't be so touchy, I wasn't having a go at you. The Nyko thing is an ugly piece of kit though, "modding forum" or not.

:D - sorry no offense intended dude. Being touchy I was.
I don't mind the looks tbh - It's the only way we can get over 1TB SSHD on a PS4.

Thats what I'm waiting for - 2TB of space minimum before I change this 750Gb SSHD over (or unless it dies of course lol)

Back
Top Bottom