Best VR gaming rig requirements?

Associate
Hey guys.

My bro has asked me to price him up a PC, primarily for VR games.

This is a complete grey area for me, so wanna know what you think the BEST vr experience is(Oculus or Vive ect), and what kind of rig you think is best.

I've seen some rec specs but they seem low. The "minimum" or "recommended" specs are often nowhere near enough for a good quality/high fps experience, and I can see even an 8k one is only stating just a gtx1080???

He has an Oculus quest which does not require a PC, but is wondering what a PC powered one will be like(I think the newest is the Oculus Rift S).
Does he have much to gain (graphically), from going from a Quest to a Rift S? He wants to anyway because steam VR games like Half Life: Alyx aren't on the Quest store.

I'm wondering if the current bang for your buck r5 3600/b450/16gb/rx5700xt for about £1000k will do the job. looking at spending "as little as possible" for the best VR. Is more needed for more fps?

Associate
You sure can play Alyx that way but if hes only going to play PCVR id sell the quest and go the Rift S way as its a lot more comfy to wear for long sessions, Unless you want to mod the quest then the ££ starts to build up

Associate
OP
You sure can play Alyx that way but if hes only going to play PCVR id sell the quest and go the Rift S way as its a lot more comfy to wear for long sessions, Unless you want to mod the quest then the ££ starts to build up
He hasn't mentioned anything about the quest being uncomfortable and think he uses it a lot... Will mention to him though.

With the pc ones though (the Rift S, vive ect) don't you have to have loads of sensors up and stuff? He was on about routing a cable up to and over the ceiling... Sounds like he's up for some serious mods either way haha

Associate
Hey. What's the link? I don't think he knows anything about that. Would he still need a pc? Then he can link the quest with the pc?

You can connect it to a PC and run it just like a Rift S, was USB 3, but I think they have recently updated software and it works on USB 2 now.

If you can get over the extra weight, there is no point in buying the Rift S in my mind.

Associate
He hasn't mentioned anything about the quest being uncomfortable and think he uses it a lot... Will mention to him though.

With the pc ones though (the Rift S, vive ect) don't you have to have loads of sensors up and stuff? He was on about routing a cable up to and over the ceiling... Sounds like he's up for some serious mods either way haha

Rift S has built in sensors, Vive uses external.

Associate
OP
Awesome thanks for tips guys.

He was under the impression the Rift S would be much better quality, as has seen really quality videos on YouTube, so have told him if he really wants to upgrade (he's got the itch I think and wants the best vr) then to find one to try out somewhere like in a mall.

If he wants one I'm pretty sure a bargain basement new build will do the job.

3400x, 16gb, 5700xt.

Associate
OP
Well, he'll need the pc anyway to link to the quest, as he doesn't have one atm. I'm guessing if the rec specs are only a gtx1080 then a 5700xt (similar spec to a 2070super) will suffice.

Thanks again guys

Soldato
5700XT, 2070 will be plenty for Rift S / Quest and I suspect even for Vive / Index

I have a Vega 64 in my main PC which performs really well in VR with the Rift S, I also have 'lightweight' more portable PC with a handle using with Ryzen 2600 and my old RX580 so I can set up in different spaces and Rift S is fine, thourgh HL Alyx does drop down to low settings. It still plays perfectly and looks great, though if you compare a few of the effects are dialed back.

VR graphics are a little conservative right now so they have a broad target audience. If you only got a decent experience with a £800 GPU and a headset, the market would be a lot smaller.

Friend of mine has a Rift, Rift S and Quest. Other than the Rift/S being more confortable for a long wear time, he says there is little to choose between the visuals. Quest also apparently works well streaming from PC over 5Gig wifi which is probably worth the very minor trade off in pixels / refresh rate.

Back
Top Bottom