Best way of keeping Steam installs

Soldato
You don't as I copied the whole of my xcom 2 install folder from one computer to the other (over the network) and once I set it to install, it automatically picked up on the files that were there already and all it needed to do was download all the mods.
arent the mods in the workshop folder with their own manifest files?

Soldato
Just don't do what I've just done. Built my new system (see sig) and was pretty sure I'd backed up my steamapps/common folder. Just reinstalled steam and plugged my portable HDD in to drag the folder across to find I hadn't backed it up at all. DOH!

Thankfully I did back up the relevant folders for my EVE UI though, so that's a good thing.

Soldato
I always found the easiest way is to just copy the whole steam folder.
Then when you want to run it on the target computer you can just create a desktop shortcut pointing to the steam.exe

Its as simple as that, works as a back up, works for fresh installs or if you want to run it on a different computer.

Soldato
Buy separate drives as suggested. I've a 5TB mechanical drive and a 1TB SSD purely dedicated for games. I've got 90% of my library installed from multiple gaming platforms and rarely even play any of them. The only BAD side to this is, if you're a muppet like me and always forget to disable auto updates... You're gonna have a bad time when you open steam lol.

I still need to go through the hundreds of games I've got installed to disable updates as everytime I open Steam, I get 30 mins of nothing but game updates. It's driving me up the wall.

Soldato
I have Steam installed on a hard drive specifically for my games and if I ever need to reinstall Windows then it is a very simple matter of doing a repair install of Steam and I am good to go, no re-election installation of games needed.

Back
Top Bottom