1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best way of testing a clutch?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by fadetoblack, 24 Sep 2009.

1. fadetoblack

Wise Guy

Hi all as above?

Mines done 92,000 (ford focus) I think it's slipping but not sure?

2. Conscript

Sgarrista

Shove the car into a high gear and try accelerating up a steep incline. The car should stutter and feel like it's gonna stall. If instead the RPM starts to rise but the speed doesn't then the clutch is slipping.

Also, while parked with the handbrake off, put the car into 5th gear and lift the clutch. The car should stall straight away.

3. TONY

Wise Guy

Fill your car up with people and that should make it more obvious with the extra weight.

4. ajstan

Wise Guy

Yh I want to know as well - mines on 126k miles still on first clutch :p

5. Lopéz

Man of Honour

Without wishing to sound rude, how can people not know if they have a slipping clutch? It's staggeringly obvious.

EDIT - good example video:

Last edited: 24 Sep 2009
  6. iaind

Capodecina

Depends how much its slipping.

Drive along about 30, depress clutch, floor the throttle, put into 5th and quickly let go of the clutch

7. Matt82

Capodecina

what lopez said

8. Clown

Soldato

I've not been driving that long and I didn't really know the terminology. I think my car is behaving a bit like that youtube video. When I'm accelerating quickly, and then I change gear, the car sort of 'over-revs' before hitting the right RPM in the right gear. If that makes sense. How do I fix it?

9. Matt82

Capodecina

the revs flick up, the car doesnt accelerate and your foot is off the clutch?

if so, you can check that the clutch release mech isnt premanently trying to release the clutch (an off chance..) other wise its new clutch time

10. iaind

Capodecina

New clutch, should cost about £300 to do

11. Clown

Soldato

If I need a new clutch, is it all right to keep using the old one until it's rotten?

12. iaind

Capodecina

The slipping will get gradually worse until it stops working completely - not ideal but if you need a few weeks to get the money together it should be fine, just dont ride it on hills too much

13. Matt82

Capodecina

when do you decide to change it? when you pull out at a junction, get half way out and get boned by another car?

14. Clown

Soldato

Don't tend to pull out when there's a car coming too fast to stop, but I know what you mean. I have the money but I just thought it's better in my pocket than someone else's :p

15. Matt82

Capodecina

if you dont do much driving, just leave it. i do all sorts of mines and am often 100s of miles from home late at night, so i just couldnt chance it. i hate walking :D

16. whitecrook

Sgarrista

in the you tube video he's not changing gear or using the clutch pedal. Sounds like you just aren't coordinating you feet on the pedals properly.

17. bledd

Don

18. Vigoro

Mobster

A slipping clutch will normally just give way over a certain amount of revs and slip, so the gear isnt engaged properly, i found this in my clio, when my clutch went coming off a roundabout :p

19. TaKeN

Capodecina

Lopez' video is a good demonstration.

Your clutch is slipping if your revs are rising but your speed isn't rising in conjuction with the revs... its simple!

You will also notice that the engine seems to rev too easily and quickly as the clutch is slipping rather than letting the engine drive the transmition.

20. bledd

Don

does it damage anything? or are you simply wasting fuel until you get it fixed..