Best way to fix glass into shed

Associate
Hi all,

I had a new shed delivered and built by Tigersheds last week. I opted for the glass upgrade, instead of styrene, for the windows but the people that build the shed don't fix the glass in properly.

At the moment it is loosely held in with some nails but I want to fix it properly this weekend so it is sealed and slightly more secure.

You can see how it is currently fitted in the pic below. I was thinking of getting some clear sealant to put around the frame, then place the glass on this and put the nails back in.

Is there a better way of doing this? Should I put some window putty around the inside edge to further stop it moving or would this not look very good?

Just after some general tips and to see how other people have done this.

Cheers

TOBRllHh.jpg

Soldato
I put silicon against bead first then pushed glass in to it - then used small quadrant beading on inside. That makes it waterproof along bottom and sides.

Bit of a bodge that.

dave

Soldato
That's really only a temp fixing for you to do your own. If they puttied them in the glass would break when they transport the panels.

Putty on the outside (you can get it in a 'gun-tube' iykwim) and quadrant on the inside.

Soldato
I put silicon against bead first then pushed glass in to it - then used small quadrant beading on inside. That makes it waterproof along bottom and sides.

Bit of a bodge that.

dave

Exactly what I did with my tiger shed. I made some square beading out of some scraps of wood I had lying around and then beaded the glass in after setting it in the silicone.

Wouldn't bother with putty, silicone is far better for this application.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-builders-silicone-clear-310ml/83710

If you're planning on painting it with a wax or oil based finish then seal it to the timber first as the silicone wont adhere to the finish.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions guys. They specifically state that they don't fit the glass so was expecting to have to do it anyway.

Mark, I think i'll go with the builders silicone in your link.

Did you wax or oil your shed after it arrived? If so, what did you use?

Associate
OP
What do you mean? It's a piece of glass that has been temporarily tacked into place.

Can't see how this can be classed as badly designed.

Soldato
What he means is the glass really should go on out side of the beading - as it is water can get between glass and bead and eventually rot wood glass is sitting on - When I built my sheds from scratch I put a lead cill in and glass on top to keep water out.-

dave

Soldato
How will water get in if I put a bead of sealant round the outside?

I can't see any water getting in. I have had mine for like 3 years now and not had any sign of water getting past the silicone.

Did you wax or oil your shed after it arrived? If so, what did you use?

I'm no expert on the best finish to use. I asked on here a while back and was recommended to use a spirit based preservative, but found the product to be poor as a waterproofer. So I ended up adding a couple of coats of decking oil over the top, which has done a superb job of repelling rain water. It just beads up and runs straight off.

A lot of people swear by real creosote, but I'm not a fan of the colour or smell.

Associate
What do you mean? It's a piece of glass that has been temporarily tacked into place.

Can't see how this can be classed as badly designed.

I'm a joiner by trade, the problem is the way the window frame has been made.

I would probably put a bead of silicone on the glass and press it against the frame, then pin a wooden bead on to hold the glass in place. Putty the outside.

Back
Top Bottom