Best way to overclock an FX60

Associate
if ya got the chip from ocuk you will struggle to get 3ghz out of it due to the stepping, im running 3ghz on a fzr 64 cooler but it isnt prime stable, im working on that now still, but dont expect to get it straight away, oh 3ghz fails prime instantly at 1.55v so thats what im up against

Soldato
have you tried burning it in at 1.55v but at stock speed?

That helped me push my phased 3800 more, it wouldn't do 2.8 at 1.55v until I ran dual superpi for a day at 1.55v with the cpu a fair bit slower, then it allowed me to go up to 3ghz.

Don't ask me why it worked.. but it did.

Associate
OP
Hi, yep got the FX60 from oc uk, and running xp64, think my limit is 2.81gig, thats running a multi of 14 and 1.45 volts, prime stable for 16hrs, tried a multi of 15 with 1.5 volts to get 3 gig and it wouldnt boot into windows ?.
im happy enough :D

Thanks for all your help.

Permabanned
I got mine up to 2822MHz (13x217) on the stock AMD cooler.
Might buy a better cooler e.g. the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED
My RAM is designed for tight timings at PC3500 speeds, not sure how it will be if I try to push it faster with relaxed timings. Still I'll get hold of the new cooler and try upping the voltage on the CPU and see what happens.

Last edited:
Associate
I also have a fx60 and its been hard clocking it. First thing is to be patient as dual cores are really heat sensitive. 2.8ghz should be no problem but 3ghz is fairly hard and past that is almost impossible on air. First thing is to buy a cooler for it rather than a lump of metal with a fan bolted on. Id try a ninja or BT or xp120.

Start at 1.3v at 2.6ghz and slowly raise fsb and test with prime. If it fails increase volts very slightly - 0.025v is too much - try 0.01v (if your board (dfi)can do that). This will keep temps low and hopefully be enough to get it stable. I tried just raising 0.025v each time and i was at high volts still trying to get stable. Lowered right down and was stable due to lower temp (my temps dont exceed 43degrees on load with a ninja).

Once at 2.8ghz then go back to 200fsb and use x14multi and keep going again. My memory is also low latency stuff so im aiming for 200 x 15.

1.55v is way too high for air cooling. Dual cores love the cold and its generally due to heat that they fail rather than high clocks. e.g my 170 that does 3ghz at 1.392v is prime stable but put that up to 1.425v for example and i doubt it would be stable due to higher temps.

What stepping are you using?

Associate
Siskods9 said:
Thanks for the advice ted34,

I have to check the voltage and stepping when I get home later on. Am in work at the moment.

ill show ya how to get the best out of ya chip with that memory

first thing is to drop your multi to 11 which will give ya 2.2ghz

then put your timings as 2.5,3,2,5

give your self 1.392v and 2,6v on the ram

increase your fsb to 255 with your memory in sinc (200) 1:1

you will an increase on everything at the same clock speed your are now

download systool

your can increase for multi to 12 in windows for benching

hope this helps

if ya need any more help my msn is [email protected]

ill talk ya though it, also anybody else with a fx60, id like to talk to as any tips we can give each other will help us

Permabanned
turbotoaster said:
ill show ya how to get the best out of ya chip with that memory

first thing is to drop your multi to 11 which will give ya 2.2ghz

then put your timings as 2.5,3,2,5

give your self 1.392v and 2,6v on the ram

increase your fsb to 255 with your memory in sinc (200) 1:1

you will an increase on everything at the same clock speed your are now

download systool

your can increase for multi to 12 in windows for benching

hope this helps

if ya need any more help my msn is [email protected]

ill talk ya though it, also anybody else with a fx60, id like to talk to as any tips we can give each other will help us

Fantastic advice turbotoaster. I'll certainly try it this evening. BTW I'm still using the stock HSF...

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I get on!

Soldato
i dont get it. why buy an fx60 - an overclocking chip and then use a stock hsf? whack it under phase if you can afford it, or use water. only way that chip is worth the money.

daven

Permabanned
TBH daven1986,

I just finished upgrading my rig and money is scarce'ish right now add to that I've no experience with DIY water cooling or phase change gear :(

Would be nice though...

Was thinking about getting the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED, I read some very good reviews of it :)

Last edited:
Associate
for a start, the standard heatsink and fan isnt bad, its got 4 heatpipes and very similar to xp-120, i did some tests with it and its not far behind some of todays good coolers.

anyway, your gonna need something better than a zalman to cool on air due to heat output

good water will help, but ulimately phase is best

if everyone can put there stepping on then we can see which is doing best
mine is

CC2BE 0536 RPMW

Soldato
Siskods9 said:
TBH daven1986,

I just finished upgrading my rig and money is scarce'ish right now add to that I've no experience with DIY water cooling or phase change gear :(

Would be nice though...

Was thinking about getting the Zalman CNPS 9500 LED, I read some very good reviews of it :)

i've got that cooler, yes it is very good for the money.

i know what you mean about money, im saving up for a phase system with watercooling i have no experience either but am saving up now!!!

good luck with the overclock.

but maybe a water cooling system with just cpu block would be within budget in a few months?

daven

Associate
Stepping is:CCB2E0608APMW
Currently priming at 2.82ghz at 1.312v (no ihs).

Also i wouldnt recomend the zalman. Id go for the ninja or a BT - nothing comes close to these 2. In my opinion outside of a case the BT is better but inside a case the ninja is best as the fan blows through the fins towards rear exhaust fan and so gets the hot air out (obviously depends on case airflow) but mine idles at 28 and load is 39 with 1.312v with a vantec stealth fan

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well today I finally got my Zalman CNPS9500 LED cooler today so hopefully I'll be able to go beyond the 2.8GHz limit I seem to have hit so far with the stock cooler :)

My stepping is: 2
Revision: JH-E6

Associate
hello
FX60 is not great clocker but iv had mine running at 200x17 3400 in asus mobo max volts at 1.6v...in vapochill ls temps around -8c...
selling it for £400 hopefully next month getting ready for conroe EE

Associate
jemz said:
hello
FX60 is not great clocker but iv had mine running at 200x17 3400 in asus mobo max volts at 1.6v...in vapochill ls temps around -8c...
selling it for £400 hopefully next month getting ready for conroe EE

whats the stepping mate

Associate
hi
CCb2e something like that could run at 3.5ghz but need more than 1.6v bluescreens after like 2h at 3.5ghz but 100% happy at 3.4ghz

Back
Top Bottom