Best way to set up a home network

Soldato
Hi all

Bit out of the loop on all this network stuff now having been on virgin for years but ever since upgrading to the superhub 3, the WiFi signal has been nothing short of shocking. I can only get a signal in the room with the router in and I'm only in a three bed semi! So I'm moving to BT with the BT mesh system.

I'm currently running a 10 year old core 2 duo machine with Plex on, so the TV in the lounge has access to all our media but as this is upstairs, usage has been sketchy sometimes to say the least.

Now I'm moving to BT with the mesh system, and considering all my important stuff is stuck on 10 year old hard drives, I wasn't sure what to do now.

Either

- get some sort of NAS and put Plex on it along with all my documents and work, so the kids (and us parents) can have access to all of our media and work all over the house and remotely too, I've been reading Plex isn't ideal on NAS due to the processing power required (most of my media is in mkv/MP4 so I don't think I'd need transcoding?)

- Stick with the old core 2 duo rig for Plex only, add some hard drives and use this in the same way as above (ATX size rig though so takes up room and it sounds like a plane taking off most of the time!)

- Ditch the core 2 rig and set up Plex on a raspberry pi 4 which I've only just been discovering. Looks like a pretty powerful thing for the very small outlay. Connect external HDD to this and use as above? Plus side to this is that it's quiet and I could shove it in the cupboard under the stairs and forget!

- something else?

I just want a reliable media player/ backup / storage solution for the whole household (with 2 kids in it so they both have TVs in their rooms)

Not a huge budget but happy to look at second hand stuff / MM or new depending on cost.

Thank you
James

Back
Top Bottom