1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best WD harddrive for Raid

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by daz87uk, 22 Oct 2009.

1. daz87uk

Hitman

Hi, Im looking to buy 2 Western Digital Harddrives. I need 2x 500GB for my Raid setup what would be best? Ive heard there are some single plater drives but not a clue which ones they would be??? could anyone point me in the right direction. :D

2. BeeP

Wise Guy

I'm using 2x 320gb RE3 drives, fast & quite quiet. RE means raid edition so pretty much made for the job.

3. Guest2

Capodecina

Raid 0 or 1?

4. BeeP

Wise Guy

Sorry I assumed he meant RAID0. Should have asked 1st I guess :)

5. Amraam

Mobster

I would assume RAID1, as I can't see why you'd want a 1TB RAID0 array? That's a lot of data to have on RAID0 array...

6. daz87uk

Hitman

TBH I have never Raided at all, I already have a green power 1TB which I just drag stuff I want to keep away from my main operating harddrive, I just wanted to increase the speed of OS drive using Raid not really sure what kinda raid Im gonna use they all seem to be around the same price so I thought I go for the 500GBx2 not really bothered about it being that big I could settle with 2x320GB but It was a small price for a lot more space. so i thought what the hell it might come in usefull :D. So you reccomend Raid 1 then? just need to find out which Drive has the single plater for faster access or something Ive been told lol Im no expert but Ive been told to aim for a single plater drive so anyone know which drive that is?

7. PlumpMonkey

Hitman

The Raptors are fast drives. On my last rig I went a bit OTT and got 2x raptor drives in a split raid config and 2x 250gb in mirrored raid. I put the OS and only the OS on the raptor and apps/data on the other disks. It booted quick, but really was kinda pointless :)

8. daz87uk

Hitman

Yeah, my pockets dont go that deep lol. If it where up to me I would have all my data on backup Raid and my OS for Speed. I have a 12month old WD 16MB cache Drive sitting around atm, If I buy 2 more and raid that??? 3 drives in raid, whats the best Raid for 3 drives? I will be buying this next week if I get a plan in action :D

9. AbsenceJam

Mobster

Go for Samsung F3's, they are quite a bit faster than the WD drives as they have 500GB platters.

10. daz87uk

Hitman

oo so its the F3's that have the single platters cheers, how would this work if I had the spare WD or would that just slow the raid down?? I was thinking of using the WD for a external drive if I wasnt going to implement it into my Raid anyways :D

11. AbsenceJam

Mobster

Yes it'd slow it down.

12. daz87uk

Hitman

ok thanks