1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beware G-Sync Compatibility Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by SpeckleD, 28 Oct 2019.

1. SpeckleD

Gangster

Just a word of warning to anyone thinking about buying a G-Sync compatible monitor, they are only compatible with 10 series and later Nvidia GPU's.
    I replaced my Dell G-Sync monitor with an Asus VG27A that will not work with my Titan X (Maxwell) GPU.
    Would have been nice to know this prior to purchasing the monitor, there is very little information regarding this unless you specifically go looking for it so thought i would post here for others so they don't fall into the same trap i did.

2. snips86x

Capodecina

This is well known.

What gpu are you using? 970/980/ti?

3. JediFragger

Capodecina

Yup, research should have been done.

4. SpeckleD

Gangster

As stated in my post, it’s a titan X many people like myself will assume that G-Sync compatible means exactly that.
    Nothing in the specs of the monitor tell you it only works with a 10 series card, it’s only when it didn’t work and I started digging did I find out.
    If it’s well known should it not be published on the sales pages or retailers to warn customers?
    That is the purpose of my post

5. Steveocee

Soldato

And why would it? The G-sync compatibility is down to the GPU's driver. It was very clear when they launched the driver that this only applied to 10 series and upwards so it looks like you must have missed that changelog when you have been updating.

Manufacturers will happily tell you what there product WILL do or what it IS. The monitor won't make you a cup of coffee but they don't write that on the box either.

6. SpeckleD

Gangster

Well it’s obvious the point of this post has been completely missed, let’s hope those than need it see it and everyone else will pipe up with an opinion. If it’s that well known it’s a shame customer services didn’t know when I contacted them to ask what gives.

7. Steveocee

Soldato

The point wasn't missed at all. Always do your research properly.

8. bazzabear

Mobster

When you say 'not compatible', do you just mean the G-sync ability can't be used? I'm assuming the monitor itself works fine?

9. SpeckleD

Gangster

Correct, no G-Sync but the monitor in every other respect I fine.

10. varkanoid

Capodecina

Which customer services ?

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/g-sync-ces-2019-announcements/

One click away from the Gsync compatible monitor page

11. FatherOfDragons

Associate

well I for one appreciate your post. I’m looking to buy a dell S3220DGF with for my RTX2070 and spent some time researching the monitor compatibility and not so much the video card.
    Your post was helpful for me and I felt compelled to creat an account and log in to leave this comment as it is a shame there are so many arrogant personalities in this environment that are trying to overcompensate for their own insecurities.
    Thank you SpeckleD. Ignore the kids.