1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bf2 shadows

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by mi9tchy, 3 Feb 2006.

1. mi9tchy

Hitman

voodlegun

Last edited: 26 Jan 2009
  2. bilston

Wise Guy

its just you I think :/

I quite like em :D

3. Stellios

Capodecina

Ive disabled them, makes my game run smoother. But nah, i dont think they are up to much unless you have them on top detail.

4. Dace

Wise Guy

I've actually found that playing with most of the settings set to low gives you more of an advantage because you don't have to contend with shadows/confusing textures etc.

Something like:

Draw distance 100%
    Effects - Medium (you need this on to be able to see the artillery strikes properly)
    Dynamic Shadows - Low (you get to see shadows cast by solid objects, but don't get distracted by hundreds of them)
    Vector Calculations (Ultra Settings) - Just for accuracy when you shoot
    Other settings - Medium/low depending on how pretty you like the game

I did this because I found the inside of buildings too dark and kept getting shot when I went into them. Turn the settings down as described above, and you get to see everyone :)

5. mi9tchy

Hitman

i've got everything on full, the shadows look really blocky though

6. Rednut05

Banned

I run everything on medium. can run high but i thing medium looks nice enough. play the game for the action, not for the landscape painting.

Also running on medium i load up quicker. normaly top 3 to load on 50 Klicks. but then again my ping runs at 10. so I must be a wee bit close to the server.

7. fullfat

Wise Guy

ive also got mine on full whack and they do look crap and should probably be turned off they look so poor

8. Mundu

Mobster

I'm getting abit annoyed now I've spent the last hour tweaking things but still can't get the game 100% smooth. Until now I've left everything on high @ 1280x1024 and switched between 2xAA and 4xAA but sometime my FPS can drop in it's 40 say when a smoke grenade explodes and I've mainly noticed it on Mashtuur. I dropped effects and shadows to medium but it still happens but for a shorter time.

I was wondering what people with 7800gtx, [email protected] ,2GB RAM or similar were running settings wise for 100% smooth play.

Edit: Seems vsync which I just turned on to compensate for the tearing because I was getting frame rates of +85 seemed to have worsen things slightly.

Just wondering if I should take advantage of transparent AA or not. I haven't used it before but heard good things about it recently.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2006