• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bf2 stuttering on 7600GT ...

Soldato
If its running smooth one second then goes low and stutters - thats not the graphics card especcially that card - as that card will eat BF2 alive.
I use a gig of ram and I can run BF2 High al settings except textures which is set to MEDIUM, if I set that to high it stutters very very badly.

Permabanned
OP
2 strange things though...

1, riva tuner doesnt work with it ??? it loads but theres no hardware options AT ALL :(

2, systool (the only program that i have that can read Graphics gpu/mem speeds) shows the ram as 350Mhz ??? tried nvtray tools but that also wont load up, just gives an error and shuts off.

Associate
wow i only get 8k with a 3ghz opteron 2gb ram and a x850 plat overclocked to 600/650 thought the diff would be a bit more than that :o

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
my appols, :) but you did state that you got 8K with your card, the 7600GT is of similar power the an X850 XT but your scores a good 2.4K more. a very good score.

Associate
price for price that 7600 is better though. you can prob get quite a bit out of it with an overclock i would have though. sorry if what i said came across the wrong way.

Soldato
Price is around the right score - should be a little higher maybe but this would be explained by the cpu at 1.8ghz, if it was higher I reckon it would score past 6K possibly.
So I think we've concluded its the ram :D, run everything high except texture at medium.

Permabanned
OP
Ladforce said:
price for price that 7600 is better though. you can prob get quite a bit out of it with an overclock i would have though. sorry if what i said came across the wrong way.

my faullt for being a grumpy bugger!

Associate
Phil99 said:
Textures & Terrain down to Medium should bring the usage down a bit without making it look too much different.

Agree with Phil, try setting textures to medium, having it at high will eat RAM like nothing else - set the texture filtering to LOW and use the nvidia control panel to set the AF to whatever you want, make sure the "application controlled" checkbox is not ticked.

When you installed the new card did you let the shaders etc. re-optimise?

Dynamic Shadows, Dynamic Lighting, Lighting - All FPS killers, try turning these down.

What nvidia drivers are you using currently?

Associate
Phil99 said:
Textures & Terrain down to Medium should bring the usage down a bit without making it look too much different.

The answer is to put textures to medium with 1GB of RAM. I have a 7800GT and it would not run high textures with 1GB , even with minimal services running - now got 2GB and it runs smooth with all set to high.

Associate
So you've decided that it is the RAM now?

In case you haven't, I just thought I'd add that it definitely is the RAM.

My brother ran it with no stuttering on a 9700 and XP 2200 with 1Gb of RAM, I however could not play it on a 3700 and 6800GS with 1Gb of RAM without it stuttering. Adding another 1Gb of RAM instantly solved this problem.

Caporegime
i have a 7800GTX tried to fire up oin all high mode. no go, crashed to desktop within secs of loading a big map error = system out of virtual memory... grr

i only had a gig in ram, checked task manager and could see it dropping from 1.44GB as BF2 was releasing from ram. i need another 512/gig of ram tbh.

i turned details down annd it runs fin with 1gb of ram

Back
Top Bottom