• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Bf2 stuttering on 7600GT ...

Associate
couple things, its stuttering for two reasons.

RAM and CPU
BF2 eats systems for brunch.

scoring 5.5k on 3dmark05 isn't enough to run BF2 super smooth at those settings while in a busy part of the game with a lot of stuff on screen at a point.

i get just under 8k, with an overclocked 3000+ winchester, running at 2.4ghz, 2gb of ram, sync'd with that OC @ DDR534. and my 7800GT overclocked @ 468mhz/1206mhz, i run those settings, someting slightly different to most people though is i will not go near it on performance driver quality textures thing, gotta be on quality or high quality. same settings, runs fine @ those settings, 4xAA (basic AA), 8xAF. but transparancey AA brings it down a bit. i can tell now, that apart from SS transparancy, the only thing slowing this thing down, is that BF2 doesnt like my CPU and RAM subsystem @ 1152x864 or 1280x1024, i feel the need for a dual core or a faster opty or venice (Want an X2 but prefer my car and woman to my computer)

more importantly, get more RAM, then run 3dmark 06 thats a better judge for BF2 IMO, because it really does well in showing all these 6600s/6800s+7600 owners that they don't have an uber system, its true that a 128bit mem bus or 128mb memory on a vid card, just aint nearly enough for BF2 on high at 1280 or more. if you get near 3.5k on 06 then you outta be perfectly fine at those settings on BF2. im on 3.8 but BF2 is the only game i really game and you need it looking good at a steady 60 or more fps

Associate
locutus12 said:
not me, hes got a gig of geil which is enough, hes not getting disk access, when the stuttering occurrs ive personally kept my eye on the HDD LED, nothing,

It's not enough. My 6800gt , p4 2.6 with 1gig of duall chan would still pause every now and then. Moved to 1.5gig and pauses are no more.
Look at task manager when it's running BF2 takes approx 800mb of memory when running, add XP's very poor swap space management and you've got problems with 1 gig.

1.5 and he wont look back honest.

Slim

Suspended
foxxx said:
couple things, its stuttering for two reasons.

RAM and CPU
BF2 eats systems for brunch.

scoring 5.5k on 3dmark05 isn't enough to run BF2 super smooth at those settings while in a busy part of the game with a lot of stuff on screen at a point.

i get just under 8k, with an overclocked 3000+ winchester, running at 2.4ghz, 2gb of ram, sync'd with that OC @ DDR534. and my 7800GT overclocked @ 468mhz/1206mhz, i run those settings, someting slightly different to most people though is i will not go near it on performance driver quality textures thing, gotta be on quality or high quality. same settings, runs fine @ those settings, 4xAA (basic AA), 8xAF. but transparancey AA brings it down a bit. i can tell now, that apart from SS transparancy, the only thing slowing this thing down, is that BF2 doesnt like my CPU and RAM subsystem @ 1152x864 or 1280x1024, i feel the need for a dual core or a faster opty or venice (Want an X2 but prefer my car and woman to my computer)

more importantly, get more RAM, then run 3dmark 06 thats a better judge for BF2 IMO, because it really does well in showing all these 6600s/6800s+7600 owners that they don't have an uber system, its true that a 128bit mem bus or 128mb memory on a vid card, just aint nearly enough for BF2 on high at 1280 or more. if you get near 3.5k on 06 then you outta be perfectly fine at those settings on BF2. im on 3.8 but BF2 is the only game i really game and you need it looking good at a steady 60 or more fps

on my spec (in sig) i get 9372 in mark05 and 4248 in mark 06. In 1280x1024 highest settings i still get a bit of stuttering. 60FPS. lol -its not CSS. I get dips down to 30fps in some places. this doesnt bother me at all, its just the stuttering at the start of each map a little bit that does

Associate
I got the GIGBYTE 7600Gt and I play BF2 a lot.

at first after install everything was fine and I got good framerates but after a few days there was problems.

I get about 15 fps in game in single play or public servers. I reinstall driver and now everything back to normal

Soldato
I had a 6800gt in a Asrock 754 socket motherboard and it ran fine with 1gig of generic RAM. Its did stutter for a few seconds at the beginning of a level but from then on mostly fine.

Also, try disabling the intro movies. I heard this can make a big difference when running on 1gb of RAM

Man of Honour
To avoid stuttering you really need at least 1.5gig RAM, unless perhaps you set everything on low.

With a 1gig system I certainly wouldn't consider putting textures any higher than medium in this game, and even then it's not smooth.

Associate
locutus12 said:
any way to cure this ? running with textures and texture filtering on high, AAx2 1280x1024, it doesnt seem like its the graphics card causing it as it runs real good but is prone to occasional terrible bouts of stuttering...

You really need 2 gig for BF2. I used to run with 1 gig but got stuttering and when quitting the game the music would play on for a10 - 15 seconds As soon as I went to 2 gig I never had a single stutter.

Andy

Soldato
HangTime said:
To avoid stuttering you really need at least 1.5gig RAM, unless perhaps you set everything on low.

With a 1gig system I certainly wouldn't consider putting textures any higher than medium in this game, and even then it's not smooth.

1 gig can be smooth but it'll stutter for upto 5 minutes after every map change :(

I heard 1.5gig can be enough but I bet it does the same with high texture, 2 gig and your wallet has won the day :D

Back
Top Bottom