BF4 upgrade

Associate
Hi all,
I want to start playing BF4 but my current computer isn't up to it, I think its just the graphics card but what do you guys think?

computer spec's:

CPU intel i7 2600 - 3.4ghz
6gb ram
Nvidia gforce gt 530 ( I think it shares 2gb of the system ram )
running win 7 ultimate

Was thinking about a 280/290 or 780 graphics card?
thanks

stu

Last edited:
Caporegime
GFX card certainly and maybe a PSU if you dont have a sufficient one.

Budget? what is your existing PSU? what case do you have in case the GFX card is physically to big to fit?

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply's, it might be 8gb with 2 for the graphics card so 6 available...

It's a hp computer I got through work.

Thanks again guys

Caporegime
It has a no name 460W PSU according to the specs, that will need upgrading.

Can you physically measure how much room there is for a GFX card from the expansion slots to the HDD cages? as modern cards are rather long.

Associate
I'd steer clear of the 280 with that CPU and ram. I have i7 2600K at 4.4 with 8gb ram and upgraded to a 7970 a couple of weeks ago. The performance boost wasn't half of what I expected and I get regular frame rate drops into the fifties - making for some stuttery gameplay at times. As far as I understand it, the 280x is a re-packaged 7970 so I'd imagine you'd get the same problem.

Though I must say I tried V-sync on last night and it made things much smoother! Still, in my limited experience I'd suggest 290 upwards for a chance of high, consistent FPS in BF4 with your CPU and ram.

Caporegime
I'd steer clear of the 280 with that CPU and ram. I have i7 2600K at 4.4 with 8gb ram and upgraded to a 7970 a couple of weeks ago. The performance boost wasn't half of what I expected and I get regular frame rate drops into the fifties - making for some stuttery gameplay at times. As far as I understand it, the 280x is a re-packaged 7970 so I'd imagine you'd get the same problem.

Though I must say I tried V-sync on last night and it made things much smoother! Still, in my limited experience I'd suggest 290 upwards for a chance of high, consistent FPS in BF4 with your CPU and ram.

Rubbish, I have 280X's here and they run BF4 fine on their own.

Soldato

:confused::confused:

I hope you're not being serious?!

I have a AMD Phenom 965 & 6950, running BF4 smooth on high settings.

Associate
Woah, hold on - it's just my experience. I know you guys have lots more tech knowledge than me. I was just passing on my own personal experience based on my rig. Maybe there are other issues, but the 7970 does not push 60+ FPS constantly on my PC and at times becomes somewhat unplayable for short bursts.
Not trying to start something here, I fully respect what you guys have to say.
Perhaps I should have said on a mix of ultra and high, which is what I need as otherwise there was no point in upgrading from my 560ti.
I'll get my coat :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply's guys, I'm looking on spending 350~400.

I have found an old 600w Enermax psu which is in my old computer (7 years old but in good order)

So all depends if that's mane nought or do I need a new psu as well as the graphics card

Back
Top Bottom