• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

BIG 10.9 DRIVER PROBLEM

Associate
Try loading new driver on top of old ones. tryed restarting pc it now blue screens. So reset pc to stock took one of the 5870 out and restarted. it loaded windows up so uninstalled driver in control panel and started pc. loads to windows. down loaded 10.9 again and tryed loading it up all i get is

COULD NOT LOAD FILE OR ASSEMBLY 'CLI.IMPLEMENTION' OR ONE OF IT'S DEPENDENCIES. THE ODULE WAS EXPECTED TO CONTAIN AN ASSEMBLY MANIFEST............. WHAT THE HELLS THAT MEAN.........

Soldato
He's telling you to use Driver Cleaner because he knows it causes problems, which will "back up" his statement about avoiding ATi graphics cards. He's just butthurt that he's rubbish with PCs, he probably struggles installing fans.

if you got a problem with the driver cleaner/sweeper then why not post about it on thier forums and help with the development?

iv used driver sweeper before and never had any issues with it as have most of the others that used it. if you had issues then most likley your system had even deeper problems that require more attention.

all driver cleaner will do is remove the driver files that you ask it to, its not going to do daft stuff like wipe your boot sector etc. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Try loading new driver on top of old ones. tryed restarting pc it now blue screens. So reset pc to stock took one of the 5870 out and restarted. it loaded windows up so uninstalled driver in control panel and started pc. loads to windows. down loaded 10.9 again and tryed loading it up all i get is

COULD NOT LOAD FILE OR ASSEMBLY 'CLI.IMPLEMENTION' OR ONE OF IT'S DEPENDENCIES. THE ODULE WAS EXPECTED TO CONTAIN AN ASSEMBLY MANIFEST............. WHAT THE HELLS THAT MEAN.........

Why did you install new drivers over the old when the instructions are to uninstall old drivers first? Try the recommended method:

# Upgrade an old driver to the latest version from AMD.COM
1. Note! Before getting started, ensure that you know the model of your graphics card. It will come in handy for several steps in the process. Refer to Article GPU-55 for information on how to identify your graphics card
2. Verify that the operating system has the latest service packs / updates
3. Download the latest drivers for the graphics card from AMD’s Graphics Drivers & Software page. Refer to Article GPU-56 for information on how to use the graphics driver utility
4. Remove any pre-existing drivers / software for the graphics card. Refer to Article GPU-57 for detailed instructions on how to uninstall old drivers
5. Install the latest drivers for the graphics card. For detailed instructions on how to install the latest graphics drivers, refer to:
1. Article GPU-33 for a Windows 7 based system
2. Article GPU-1 for a Windows Vista based system
3. Article GPU-2 for a Windows XP / Windows 2000 based system

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

Cyber-Mav said:
safe mode driver cleaner job then try doing driver re-install. in future avoid ati gfx card purchases.
Even following Nividia instructions I have seen numerous nvlddmkm.sys crashes with nvidia drivers, so your preference for one corporation over another will not solve the OPs problem.

Permabanned
Why did you install new drivers over the old when the instructions are to uninstall old drivers first? Try the recommended method:

# Upgrade an old driver to the latest version from AMD.COM

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/737-20870HowtoInstallYourATIProduct.aspx

Even following Nividia instructions I have seen numerous nvlddmkm.sys crashes with nvidia drivers, so your preference for one corporation over another will not solve the OPs problem.

Those instructions are seemingly out of date, I have seen other instructions that say it's fine and recommended to install over the top when using Windows Vista and Windows 7. You don't even need to reboot with Windows 7.

Soldato
Hardly out of date, its been updated this year and has instruction for windows 7 driver uninstall. IMO it's always best to uninstall drivers before installing new ones.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hardly out of date, its been updated this year and has instruction for windows 7 driver uninstall. IMO it's always best to uninstall drivers before installing new ones.

I have seen other instructions that say it's fine and recommended to install over the top when using Windows Vista and Windows 7. You don't even need to reboot with Windows 7.

:confused:

Soldato
Considering the Steam driver update installs over the top I would think that it would be fine, considering they must have worked with AMD to add the feature, it's not going to install drivers in a way that's going to cause issues. I never uninstall drivers first, I always install straight over the top and never had a single issue.

Also why the hell would Microsoft go through the effort to make it so the display driver can be stopped and unloaded then started up again so that driver installs can happen without a reboot if they expect people to uninstall their display driver first?

One of the main parts of WDDM driver is that they support seamless updating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#WDDM_1.1

WDDM also allows the graphic hardware to be reset or unplugged without a proper reboot. In practice, a driver update should not necessitate a reboot.

Last edited:
Guys, you've skipped over my first post which may very well be the cause of the OP's problems. Ravenxxx, I back my words up with official AMD install instructions.:)

Administrator privileges are required before installing the Catalyst driver.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/GPU-1-ATICatalystSuiteDriverWV.aspx

Windows vista, and windows 7 have administrator privileges disabled as default, and you have to enable them yourself. If you don't, the installer won't be able to edit the various registry keys and windows files they need, so you end up with a borked install.

That page I linked to (although slightly out of date it seems) mentions having windows vista sp1. If you're installing the latest drivers, it's probably a good idea to make sure your windows install is also fully updated.

As far as using driver cleaner and installing over the top, I have done both (well, it was steam who did the latter for me, last night) and not encountered any problems. I don't think Cyber-Mav is trying to sabotage the OP by making him use a legit program like driver cleaner, however I can't help but think it would cause problems to run something like that without admin privileges.

Permabanned
So wiki then....OK.

Unless AMD update their site, I'll follow their current official instructions regarding uninstalling/installing new drivers.

No not Wiki, do you have a problem with selectively reading what people have said? He also mentioned the fact that the Steam install for new drivers installs over the top...

Soldato
Windows vista, and windows 7 have administrator privileges disabled as default, and you have to enable them yourself. If you don't, the installer won't be able to edit the various registry keys and windows files they need, so you end up with a borked install.

Anyone with a sanely set up install of Windows 7 or Vista will receive a UAC prompt when trying to install the drivers, or well anything that requires administrator privileges, this will elevate the installer so that it is able to modify the system locations that it needs to. There is no need to enable anything manually. You double click the installer, you click yes to the UAC prompt and hey presto the drivers install properly.

Soldato
If AMD the guys that develop the drivers for their GFX cards instruct users of their cards to uninstall old drivers before installing new ones I suggest that's what people do. You provide no links categorically stating it's fine to install AMD drivers over old drivers but would rather ride on someones links to wiki to back yourself up, which does not mention AMD drivers anywhere..pff.

AMD instruction for Windows 7 is to uninstall old drivers before installing new, you think they are so inept to not know how to give proper instruction on how to install windows 7 drivers..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom