• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Big problems with Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix

Associate
Hello...

I bought this card, and installed it a couple of days ago.. but I'm having a hell of a time with it.
Basically; very low FPS in pretty much every game, and I'm not sure what to do about it.

(edit: when I say low FPS.. 3dMark: 20-30fps | Kingdom Come: Deliverance 30fps | BFV: 20-30fps | The Division 2: 60fps | Metro Exodus: 20-30fps

Even with RTX turned off on the games that have it enabled; it's still very low for the calibre of the card.)

I'm running an EK-Vector water block on the graphics card. Idle temps 30c, full load maximum temp I've seen was 77c).

Quick specs:

Intel Core i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
16Gb G.Skill DDR4-2132
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/AGx2H8h0Rp1XEWzKAyqmpNF

I first noticed something was wrong only today; I was in VR, in iRacing, and noticed my framerate going from 72Fps down to 50Fps, then back up to 72, down to 50, rinse and repeat. (Pimax 5K set at 72Hz).

So I thought I'd try running a 3dMark test. The results were depressingly abysmal..
https://imgur.com/a/GVrm0cp

Barely squeezing past 35FPS throughout the test. The CPU Physics tests were giving me 60FPS..

My PC from 5 years ago was performing much better.

So.. I ran a stress test with Furmark and recorded it with HWiNFO64, and saved the results to CSV. https://nofile.io/f/1PXSQ9Eb3MP/Stresstest1.CSV

I'm not sure what else to go on here.. so please, for the love of god, ask away; and I'll answer everything I can.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I'd try all the usual things. Reseat the card. Try the card in another machine. Try another card in yours. That will be a pain as you're on water.

Why is your cpu so low clocked? Does kranking it up make a difference? Is your psu powerful enough? Check all power connections?

Do you have a spare hdd you can throw a fresh install of windows on to test that?

I'd make a list of all the variables in order of easiest to check and work down it. Hope it's an easy one to resolve.

Soldato
hi, well the only thing that looks weird to me is the massive 47c idle to load temp delta, 30c idle to 77c seems way to much, did you check that your EK water block fits the card properly. there are some changes on newer cards which
means the blocks don't make good contact.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/did-you-know-compatibility-issues-with-strix-rtx-2080-ti-water-blocks/

I get 29 idle temps and mine is on air highest ive seen mine 65 .zotac are the king for cooling.

Associate
OP
hi, well the only thing that looks weird to me is the massive 47c idle to load temp delta, 30c idle to 77c seems way to much, did you check that your EK water block fits the card properly. there are some changes on newer cards which
means the blocks don't make good contact.

https://www.ekwb.com/blog/did-you-know-compatibility-issues-with-strix-rtx-2080-ti-water-blocks/

This will be my first port of call.
Was checking the pictures I took of the card before I put the water block on it, and looks like this card is affected by this.
As for CPU voltage etc.. not sure at all why it's so low. I've not tampered with any BIOS settings etc for a good long while.

PSU should be powerful enough.. 850w.. though it's possible it's on the way out =s

If that all doesn't make a difference.. will try new windows install etc.
Keep you posted.

Associate
This will be my first port of call.
Was checking the pictures I took of the card before I put the water block on it, and looks like this card is affected by this.
As for CPU voltage etc.. not sure at all why it's so low. I've not tampered with any BIOS settings etc for a good long while.

PSU should be powerful enough.. 850w.. though it's possible it's on the way out =s

If that all doesn't make a difference.. will try new windows install etc.
Keep you posted.

I think you will find the card is throttling badly because of bad contact on part of the core causing hot spots, as for CPU voltage if you haven't touched anything regarding the CPU voltage and it was working fine before, just leave it and concentrate on getting
the water block to fit properly and make good contact.

the PSU should be ok providing its a single 12v rail on it.

Associate
OP
I think you will find the card is throttling badly because of bad contact on part of the core causing hot spots, as for CPU voltage if you haven't touched anything regarding the CPU voltage and it was working fine before, just leave it and concentrate on getting

OK.. powering down.. wish me luck!

Associate
OP

This was it.. card looks to be working fine now.. running 100ish fps in 3dmark.. I think we can close this thread down now.. all appears to be well.

Thanks for the help guys!!

Associate
OP
Yeah.. nice to have a happy ending!!
I was starting to get a little worried.. bought a new power supply and everything last night.. should be here today.. not sure whether to install it or not now, heh.
The current one is probably about 6-7 years old now.. so might as well I suppose..

Cheers for all the help chaps/chapettes.

Associate
OP
https://i.imgur.com/ilPdBaR.jpg

The pump is definately working.. can feel the flow through the pipe.. and see a bit of movement within the reservoir.
Might have to take the card out again, redo the water block.. maybe ditch the thermal pads and put the paste or or something.. ugh.. i donno.

Associate
looking at your pic, your flow is the wrong side of the water block, it should go from pump to block, out of block to rad, inlet for the block is to left looking at front of card. ahhh looking again yours look right, I would reseat the block with paste not a pad.

Soldato
https://i.imgur.com/ilPdBaR.jpg

The pump is definately working.. can feel the flow through the pipe.. and see a bit of movement within the reservoir.
Might have to take the card out again, redo the water block.. maybe ditch the thermal pads and put the paste or or something.. ugh.. i donno.

you'll definatly want to use paste for the core and use the pads for the memory and the vrm parts on the card, apply paste first and place the block on top wait a few seconds and take the block off that way you'll see if the paste has spred out, if it has apply pads to all areas and give it another go but if the paste has not spead or made contact with the block be sure to look at everything because more than likely something is blocking contact between the 2

Associate
OP
looking at your pic, your flow is the wrong side of the water block, it should go from pump to block, out of block to rad, inlet for the block is to left looking at front of card. ahhh looking again yours look right, I would reseat the block with paste not a pad.

Maybe the pic is misleading with the angle.. pipe comes out the pump, into the top holeof the water block.. then out the bottom into the radiator, and back to the pump.

paste is on the core. fully covered.. pads are all in place. Going to dismantle again just now; make sure all's well.
I did notice there is a wee black cable that runs through the middle of the water block.. I'll post a pic once I take it apart to show.

Back
Top Bottom