1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Tech Has More Power Than The President Of The United States.

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by solado, 9 Jan 2021.

1. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

Good for Australia. Governments need to show these companies that they make the laws and they write the regulations.

2. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Well...

3. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

Oh believe me I'd love to see the downfall of Murdoch and News Corp. That man has wielded way too much power for decades now, it could be argued he was more powerful than the UK PM at points. He shaped UK society with his media. No individual or company be it Murdoch or Zuckerberg should have the power they have.

4. viathinair

Mobster

Would be hilarious if pretty much every major country passes and succeeds with such laws however the US is at least very late but maybe never, as I "sure" see it, yessirreey.

5. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

LOL this seems to cover all the bases of what's happening in Australia.

6. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

So, a private individual posts a link to a news site on their facebook feed and as a result that news site gets visits from the person's friends. The news site gets traffic and advertising and now it wants facebook to pay them as well?

7. Greebo

Caporegime

yep and some people think Facebook should as well and are evil for not doing it. Can Facebook pay me every time somebody links to my business please? Would be dead useful if they did

8. MikeTimbers

Sgarrista

So I write a script to constantly post links to my site and they have to pay me every time someone follows the link or only every time I post it? Who decides how much should be paid? Does FB have to do a deal with every possible website? What if I don't have a deal yet? Do I get paid or not?

Come on. This is stupid. FB isn't stealing anything from me if someone links to my website. I don't lose anything. Quite the opposite. FB helps me by publishing the link. If anything I should pay them if traffic comes my way from FB.

9. Tony Edwards

Soldato

Thats what Nick Clegg said and funnily enough I agree with Nick again.

10. BowdonUK

Soldato

This is still going to happen as its part of the link tax and copyright directives that, at the time, as EU citizens, most people complained that it would cripple the Internet. Then the bluster went down and it got voted through.

The media are manipulating the story to make out this Australian story is an isolated issue. Australia is just the first country trying to enforce it. Canada, UK, and the EU will be next.

I think the main complaint is there is a Facebook News: https://www.facebook.com/news/learn-more/

This seems to be like Google News, were they strip the story from a website so you don't need to visit the original source.

All they would need to do is remove Facebook News and Google News and they would have a much stronger hand. Instead Facebook went about stopping users uploading site links, while Google threatened to shut down.

I think both sides are acting different kinds of shady in this situation.

I think advertising is going downhill online. Not enough people are clicking it for it to be worth it. So now they are fighting about the remaining money.

11. BowdonUK

Soldato

The more I read stories like this;

'We made a total mistake': Jack Dorsey questioned over Hunter Biden censorship
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vJZdEk53xo

The more I wonder how can these companies mess things up so much? They are based in the US, which has freedom of speech. They are legally protected against anything a user posts on their platform. They only need to remove material if criminality is involved. Yet they choose to micro-manage everything, which opens them up to criticism.

12. Greebo

Caporegime

Problem is for years now they have been told over and over they need to do something about moderating peoples posts despite them falling back on the defence that they arent responsible and are told if they dont start doing that then govt will legislate for them and do it.

So they cant win.

13. BowdonUK

Soldato

Facebook will no longer remove claims that Covid-19 was man-made
    https://edition.cnn.com/2021/05/27/tech/facebook-covid-19-origin-claims-removal/index.html

Big Daddy Zuckerberg now allows the plebs to talk about covid being possibly man-made.

This is the perfect example of how they are interfering in free and open debate. It would be like your telephone company stopping your line access because they didn't agree with a legal opinion you expressed.

What opinion you have is nothing to do with big companies that are protected from prosecution for what you write. The only obligation they have is to alert law enforcement of possible crimes.

14. mrochester

Soldato

COVID being man made or not is a fact not an opinion. You can have an opinion on what you THINK it is but you can’t have an opinion on what it actually is or isn’t.

15. BowdonUK

Soldato

Before this recent decision you couldn't post that you think its man made. If you did then facebook would remove your post and you'd be in the facebook dog house.

You can have an opinion on whatever you want to. It's none of facebook business. They are legally protected against any legal prosecution of whatever you type/post. They have a SPECIAL right for this very thing, so that you can make posts and they have no come back, especially if what you are saying is legal.

They are operating editorial powers, which they shouldn't be. If they want to do that then their current protections need to be removed, and changed to a different status.

This situation with facebook is like, if you said in a conversation "I like to eat meat". Then the next day BT/Virgin (whoever supplies your landline) cuts the service saying they don't agree with that opinion.

16. Murphy

Soldato

Not sure where politico got their information from as the Facebook policy page on COVID still says, among other types of post, will still be removed...

17. Colonel_Klinck

Soldato

Open debate on Facebook is a joke. You aren't going to convince an anti-vaxer/covid truther that covid vaccines are safe or that covid is real and (for the previous year at least) there was no hard evidence it was man made. Facebook is a just a giant echo chamber, people join groups that agree with their world view or get sucked into such groups by the algorithm. YouTube is also terrible for sucking people down rabbit holes. I've lost 2 friends to this utter nonsense now and one is a very intelligent guy. He is posting all kinds of nonsense, "vaccines make 95% or women sterile", Bill Gates is behind it all. He was all over the Plandemic video and spreading it far and wide among his friends. That is just a tiny sample of the utter ******* he now believes and there are millions like him. I would never have believed 10 years ago he could go down this road, its all because of social media. So when social media companies tried to get control of the crazy conspiracy theories running rampant regarding covid as it really kicked in I had some sympathy for it. Its too late though, there is no way to put the genie back in the bottle now. Its only going to get worse and the idea you can reverse this though open dialogue on social media is ridiculous. I saw a poll in the last couple of days that 40% of Republican voters believe the Qanon conspiracy theory. How do you bring those millions back from there?

Last edited: 27 May 2021
  18. BowdonUK

Soldato

I know what you mean. Only last night I was debating a friend who had posted a video that was some native Canadian woman saying she was a representative of the 'Sovereign Republic of Canada'. It was on a channel with a profile picture that had a Q showing. It made no sense, not least because there was no sign of any such group. I've noticed people from North America tend to talk a lot of rubbish and don't do hardly anything. Sadly that talking, like a lot of American culture, seems to have infected British people too.

A private company should not be able to dictate what opinions are posted, especially when they have a special exemption for you to post your opinion and they not be liable. If they don't like you're post then they can label it and give others a choice. As long as that persons opinion isn't talking about illegal activity then they should be free to say what they want.

Facebook and others are acting like editors. They shouldn't have been interfering in the debate. They are control freaks who feel they have to micro-manage every aspect of a users activities. One of the downfalls is when they make one call and then the official advice changes. I know someone who got banned temporarily on youtube for repeating Chris Whitty's advice.

19. Pudney

Soldato

That sounds like a Freeman of the Land nonsense, which probably should be removed as it can either lead to gullible people losing vast sums of money to Freeman "legal experts" or it can lead to illegal actions (because under the Freeman principles they're not actually illegal actions).

20. BowdonUK

Soldato

There probably is something like that going on. But the freeman of the land movement collapsed when it started to become popular as it was proven wrong. I remember watching the videos of people in court arguing with judges. The only people following it now are those that haven't seen the full conversation and history because its wiped out by these big companies.