Biker's Cafe Chatroom

Man of Honour
I get your point, but it feels way lighter than the figure would have you think. Also be careful with weights, it's 178kg dry, so 12kg more than a certain KTM, BMW actually list reasonable wet weights unlike some manufacturers...
Got mine checked at the local garage, it’s 181 kg with a full tank.

47 kg is a huge difference. I’m a stickler for light bikes though and it’s probably not an issue for normal people.

The local mechanic always thought I was nuts and I think I’ve just proven it to him when I explained it was to prove a point to people on the internet.

Man of Honour
Ahaha 181? Cycleworld seems to have clocked it at 184 so you might be missing a few bolts on yours ;) also internet requires pics with a loaf of hovis otherwise it's not real. Just saying.

I have a titanium exhaust instead of the steel one and it’s in single rider configuration so it’s missing the pillion pegs and passenger seat, so that seems about right.

Man of Honour
I need to stop watching bike channels on YouTube, it's just making me want to buy another bike. We're supposed to be saving for a wedding and the mrs will kill me :o :D

In other news got cut up on a roundabout the other day on the way to work, luckily managed to keep the bike upright and avoid going headlong into oncoming traffic by a gnats chuff but they did do a number on one of my end cans which will now need replacing :rolleyes:

Associate
First KTM bike....people say they're unreliable, i said they can't be surely? Look at the price of them!

2 Weeks into ownership and it's in the dealer with a leaking radiator....been with the dealer for nearly 2 weeks now.

Soldato
First KTM bike....people say they're unreliable, i said they can't be surely? Look at the price of them!

2 Weeks into ownership and it's in the dealer with a leaking radiator....been with the dealer for nearly 2 weeks now.

Daaaaaaaaamn.

I doubt you could but I'd be tempted just to tell them to keep it a get a refund

Soldato
Mild annoyance today. Been waiting nearly a month for an order of some Covec jeans as they were on back order at SBS (as like 90% of jeans seem to be right now) and they finally showed up this morning, tried them on and...they are a larger waist than I ordered and so are loose on me. The label says 32" waist but I measured them and they are for sure 34" which explains why the bagginess, they also have some stretch so I suspect a 30" would be fine for me.

Just means a return, not the end of the world really but irritating as looking at SBS I don't think I'll be able to get any replacements that actually fit for over a month.

Downside to stores not being open / SBS having to postpone their Bristol store opening until later in the year due to everything meaning no simple in-store try before buy.

Soldato
Got a test ride booked on a Striple and a Striple R, anything in particular I should be looking out for when it comes to buying one?
There’s not really anything that goes wrong with them, out of the 2 I had, I preferred the R version as the suspension was better and you got smoother throttle response.

What sort of budget you looking at?

Man of Honour
Got a test ride booked on a Striple and a Striple R, anything in particular I should be looking out for when it comes to buying one?

There are a few really common issues, but nothing major other than the reg/rec issue on all models that's very well documented.

The biggest ones are:
  1. The reg/rec fails regularly, so test the battery voltage before and after the test ride, as well as when the engine is running
  2. The automatic cam chain tensioner stops functioning, but don't buy one with a manual tensioner as people set these too tight to "stop the tappety sound" and destroy their engines
  3. The gear indicator sensor is prone to failing
  4. The headlights can crack easily
If you weigh more than 70kg then the standard model will be under-sprung for your weight.

Man of Honour
There are a few really common issues, but nothing major other than the reg/rec issue on all models that's very well documented.

The biggest ones are:
  1. The reg/rec fails regularly, so test the battery voltage before and after the test ride, as well as when the engine is running
  2. The automatic cam chain tensioner stops functioning, but don't buy one with a manual tensioner as people set these too tight to "stop the tappety sound" and destroy their engines
  3. The gear indicator sensor is prone to failing
  4. The headlights can crack easily
If you weigh more than 70kg then the standard model will be under-sprung for your weight.
Sounds very similar to the Bird then. I'm well over 70kg :o

Soldato
Does anyone know where i can find some sato racing inner weights?, with or without the bar ends, can't find any stock on their website or in UK, I need them so i can fit bar end mirrors.

Associate

I had a couple of KTMs. The first one was 690 Duke, that I had every possible upgrade on including the race cam, cat delete and akra. Great bike but loosened fillings! The second was an 1190 adventure. All sorts of issues, oil leak, fuel pump filters and multiple trips to the dealer. When it was good it was fine but it was inconsistent.

Both bikes clearly built to a budget. Poor fastener quality and lots of cheap plastic.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

would I buy another? No.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom