Bikers Youtube thread

Associate
Sobering to say the least. It's the 'Noooooo' just before the impact that gets me. A certain cry to an unavoidable end.

It was fast, not silly fast, but too fast for that kind of junction. Still, the car driver made the bigger mistake.

RIP.

One

One

Soldato
Saw this being talked about on reddit, didn't watch it until now. It's quite sobering. Any idea what straight up on the speedo is on that bike? I'd like to think he's going at least 80mph, the thought of him being killed at a measly 60mph is quite offputting.

edit:just seen on norfolk constabulary website "the 38-year-old had been travelling at about 97mph at the time of the collision." I suppose that is silly fast on a single carriageway that has turnings I can't see any maneuver available that would avoid a collision either.

Last edited:

One

One

Soldato
As daily bikers (i'm a fair weather ponce at best), how often are those speeds reached? I find I rarely go over 80 unless i'm on a motorway/dual, even when there's no traffic (i have a 300hp car so it's no slouch). Are modern bikes more tempting to go faster (i imagine the crunched over tank posture plays to chasing speed)? Is the sense of speed distorted at higher levels? Or is it just a case of this bloke would be going fast in any vehicle he happened to be using?

Associate
Not idea what that bike is, but on any modern 1000cc bike 90mph is nothing, and it also feels like nothing. It will do that speed in 1st gear...

Although i agree i wouldn't be going that fast on a road like that with so many turnings.

Man of Honour
As daily bikers (i'm a fair weather ponce at best), how often are those speeds reached? I find I rarely go over 80 unless i'm on a motorway/dual, even when there's no traffic (i have a 300hp car so it's no slouch). Are modern bikes more tempting to go faster (i imagine the crunched over tank posture plays to chasing speed)? Is the sense of speed distorted at higher levels? Or is it just a case of this bloke would be going fast in any vehicle he happened to be using?

A 110-140+bhp bike will shock you with its acceleration, in a completely different league to a 300bhp car. They'll reach well over a ton before you know it.

Soldato
That's why I traded in my gsxr1000. Not only do they reach those speeds in a few seconds, the bike also works best at those speeds. The wind takes the weight off your wrists and the suspension is optimised. Happier now on a bike that's still engaging to ride at the speed limit

Soldato
Very sad, and a hard hitting video, and the car driver made a fatal mistake, but...

Too fast going past a junction with an obvious car waiting to turn, he should have been off the throttle and covering the brakes before the car even started turning. I ease off at 30mph let alone 60/70mph, covering the brakes if there's even a 0.01% chance a car hasn't seen me, if he'd done that maybe he'd still be alive today, who knows.

Ultimately if the car wasn't there or hadn't of turned he'd be alive, but us as bikers need to take responsibility for our actions, and doing a ton past a car waiting to turn across your path isn't being responsible, we have to take our safety into our own hands - as can be quite obviously seen, if we rely on others one day they'll let you down.

Soldato
It's not just modern bikes or litre bikes, a 600cc will take you from 0-60 in around 3 seconds, mine is 17 years old and still pulls to 60 in these time frames.

It's a silly speed and a fatal 'sorry mate I didn't see you' avoidable, maybe not, survivable, maybe, slow down, cover brakes, full use of a smidsy weave at the junction. I'm not saying this is what he should have done, I'm just suggesting for those who wish to learn from others mistakes.

It's as much down to us to make ourselves seen as it is to be seen

It's devastating and my heart goes to his family and the bravery of his mother.

RIP

Soldato
As said. It's not just 0-60 that's quick, it just keeps going and going.
I have an 85hp middleweight bike, the GSX650F is a slightly tuned bandit with different suspension setup and a fairing. It's an all-rounder bike, nothing special. I can do at least 82mph in 2nd gear, which i found out overtaking somebody doing 40 in a 60. Looked down and was like "Oh ****" and planted the brakes a bit.

It's very easy to go over 100MPH on a glorified bandit, let a lone a 600 super-sports bike like a GSXR, ZXR or CBR.

Associate
As said. It's not just 0-60 that's quick, it just keeps going and going.
I have an 85hp middleweight bike, the GSX650F is a slightly tuned bandit with different suspension setup and a fairing. It's an all-rounder bike, nothing special. I can do at least 82mph in 2nd gear, which i found out overtaking somebody doing 40 in a 60. Looked down and was like "Oh ****" and planted the brakes a bit.

It's very easy to go over 100MPH on a glorified bandit, let a lone a 600 super-sports bike like a GSXR, ZXR or CBR.

I had a GSX650F as a courtesy bike while my Versys 650 was in the shop (knocked over while parked). Nothing special no, but it certainly shifted in comparison to my Kawasaki (64bhp). Useless bl**dy mirrors though.

Sad to see anyone hurt or killed, but I must admit I hold the view that he was travelling too fast at the time.

Back
Top Bottom