BIOS compatibility for new Ryzen 9 5900x build

Associate
I am in the process of getting a new build together with the release of the new ryzen CPU's and can see that the motherboards need a bios update before being usable with the new ryzen 5000 series.

I have gotten a the Asus TUF-Gaming plus x570 motherboard (Not the Wi-Fi one) and will need to flash the BIOS for it to be compatible with the ryzen 9 5900x.

However I have no previous CPUs the work with that motherboard to update it and want to know if I will be able to flash the bios without the CPU (Or with a 5900x installed)??

I have looked around a lot and haven't found anything concrete.

Soldato
Unfortunately doesn't look like you can boot the board without a CPU or in fact with the new 5900x (because the BIOS wont be up to date!)

Your options are;
1) Buy the cheapest AM4 cpu you can find and send it back once its updated.
2) Do you have a local PC repair shop or anything nearby that may have one it can lend you for a cheap fee.
3) AMD offer a CPU loan kit, see the bottom of the page on https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105 but its a bit of a faff and you do need the 5000 series CPU already to provide the S/N etc. Options 1 or 2 going to be the best to do the update before your 5900x arrives.

Associate
OP
Damn that sucks but thank you for some ideas and a quick reply, at least now I can sort this out before I get the CPU and not be sad that its just sitting there.

Back
Top Bottom